• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanted - parts 51” Range Rod wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
components for muzzleloaders
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a Range Rod being made that is long enough to service a Fowler with a 51” barrel? (Preferably with a female end to accept 8 or 10/32 threads)
I imagine two shorter rods could be welded together but not being a welder I am looking for other options.
Thanks

track of the wolf will make you one . i have their 36 inch rod and had them make me various length extensions for it. for the new fowler??
I will contact Track. That would be great if they could do it.
And yup, just getting things together for the long Fowler. I don’t want to be using the wooden rod with the horn tip- that can’t be replaced easily!

I second Track Of The Wolf, I have a custom length delryn rod from them that is practically indestructible, it could be used as a weapon itself. It's also brown enough to look like wood with a little bit of work. They even called me to confirm specific attachment details, you could put on whatever type of attachments you want, both threaded or permanently attached to the rod with some material that definitely lives up to its name as very difficult to break.

For authenticity, TotW also sells more authentic rods made of wood, but you'll have to do some refinishing to get it to match your gun anyway, just like the delryn.

I HIGHLY suggest a custom delryn rod from TotW. Worth every penny, and it didn't cost a lot of those pennies, the prices are actually surprisingly affordable.

I make my own out of tubular brass ... 95% of the strength @ < 65% of the weight! I got the 6' lengths from Grainger. Had to do that for my 60" barreled 75-cal ...
That's actually a really good idea, how about using Aluminum honeycomb.

Screenshot_20231031-080627_Chrome.jpg

This stuff, but WAY smaller and stacked into a rod shape. Some of those honeycomb shaped squares can hold just as much as a solid rod, and have less than half the material. I'm sure they would be quite expensive, but it's similar to what aircraft manufacturers due to keep weight low, so it's not some new process.

Ultra Strong, and light.

I second Track Of The Wolf, I have a custom length delryn rod from them that is practically indestructible, it could be used as a weapon itself. It's also brown enough to look like wood with a little bit of work. They even called me to confirm specific attachment details, you could put on whatever type of attachments you want, both threaded or permanently attached to the rod with some material that definitely lives up to its name as very difficult to break.

For authenticity, TotW also sells more authentic rods made of wood, but you'll have to do some refinishing to get it to match your gun anyway, just like the delryn.

I HIGHLY suggest a custom delryn rod from TotW. Worth every penny, and it didn't cost a lot of those pennies, the prices are actually surprisingly affordable.
Thanks- I sent them an email 🙂

the track rod i have is 5/16 stainless steel' great range rod and great for pulling a ball. [ not that i ever had to do that o_O ] also as mentioned they can make extensions and you can even get one made with a different thread. i have a 10/32 rod and tip and an extension with an 8/32 tip

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a Range Rod being made that is long enough to service a Fowler with a 51” barrel? (Preferably with a female end to accept 8 or 10/32 threads)
I imagine two shorter rods could be welded together but not being a welder I am looking for other options.
Thanks
You should be able to locate a metal fabricating, welding or machine shop locally that can do this for you. I would personally check out local people to help me before going for the (great) expensive of having something like that shipped to me. Putting on a handle or tip yerself is not that difficult, even without fancy tools. I'm a borderline klutz doing things like that but have made what you describe several times. Good luck.

Kind of pricy ... but .. I've used Bore Tech rods for years in my unmentionable comp rifles.
They make rods to 60 inches.. All have double ball bearing handles. Perfect for following rifling.
I was thinking of getting a new one at 44 inches to handle .45 and .50 ...

I had bought multiple sets of these aluminum shotgun rods at gun shows as I needed an extra long cleaning rod as my .54 smoothbore sports a 46 inch longhammock barrel. I can put together all 5 of these and it is plenty long enough and these aluminum shotgun rods are plenty stiff for good cleaning. You want to make sure you get the same name brands as the Hoppe's shotgun rod with the orange 'T' handle won't match up thread wise to the rod I'm currently using. The brand name of this rod with the round black handle may be Bright Bore ?? These 5 rods together measure 55 inches. If I had more rods, I could keep adding more length if needed. This might be an option for you needing a range rod for cleaning a longer barrel.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• range rods.JPG
    range rods.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
So here is the other range rod I made for my long barreled .54 smoothbore.. I bought a 1/2 inch hickory ram rod 50 inches long and put a 10/32nd and 8 /32nd tip on both ends. I pinned the tips. Now I can use this rod for cleaning, or I can use it as a ramrod at the range as that 1/2 inch rod is really stiff and rams a ball down bore easily. The Aluminum rod sections I posted earlier isn't good as a ram rod, but is great for cleaning.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• hickory rod.JPG
    hickory rod.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • hickory rod tip.JPG
    hickory rod tip.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
There are other rods out there that are comparable to TOTW, but their prices are incredibly good, as well as their customer service. I've never had a vendor contact me via phone to clarify the difference over 1/32nd of an inch, and tell me to send it back if there are any problems whatsoever, on their dime.

If you do order, please order from a smaller custom shop. They're all struggling right now that Sheels and Wal-Mart are selling mass-produced muzzleloading supplies for cheap.

And whoever said to make sure that you get one of the screw-in ends and adapters is 100% right. You'll be able to attach whatever accessory you want.

Latest posts

Back