• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy black powder in MI?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm totally new to flintlock shooting, purchased my first rifle and rec' my starter items package from Track of the Woods. I want to head to the range and get started but I can't find a source for black powder near where I live (close to Ann Arbor). Admittedly-I'm also new to the state of Michigan, so I suspect I just don't know where the local shops are that go through the trouble required to sell black powder. .

I've done a bunch of internet searches but can't come up with anything there either except shops like Cabelas & Dicks. I visited Cabelas last night--no luck. I have no hopes for Dick's either.

Anyone local to "near Ann Arbor" on this forum that can tell me where I need to go to get some powder?

Much appreciated.

Try Johnson's sporting goods.
3654 N Adrian Hwy, Adrian, MI 49221
johnsonsguns.com
(517) 265-2545
I'm told they carry Goex
Call first.
You will not find much of value at Dicks or Cabela's regarding traditional muzzleloaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Grand Valley Cap and ballers here in west Mich. just south of Grand Rapids, they have black powder, also their big shoot is in a couple weeks, they have shoots a couple times a month or more.
Hermit

Not close to Ann Arbor, but Bass Pro Shop at Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills used to carry it. Always call first, though ....and make sure the person you are talking to understands what BLACK POWDER is. I'm shocked at the ignorance I encounter.

Real Black powder can be had at Shooter's Service gun shop on 6 mile in Livonia, MI and at Westborn Gun shop in Dearborn Heights, MI. I am in Flat Rock, just down the Huron River about 25 miles from you. Howdy, neighbor.

Try Clelands just south of the border in Swanton. There's also the Toledo Muzzleloader club not too far from there.

If you're interested, shoot me a message and I'll get you contact info for them. Toledo is my old stomping grounds.

I was recently advised to visit Kenockee Trading Post near Port Huron and its website looks pretty convincing. Not really in your neighborhood, but if you're in the area you might check it out.

I order mine online from Graf & Sons. They carry Goex, Swiss, and their own store brand.

They charge a $20 hazardous material fee to ship, but that is for one can, or a hundred cans, so the more you buy, the less each can costs. They have no minimum order, either. You don't have to order a full case.

I agree with Graf and Sons as I just ordered 4 pounds of the Old Eynsford from them. Service was prompt. It is signature required delivery. Max storage for a private individual is 25 pounds per Federal Law. Pretty generous.

HistorianASU2010 said:
I agree with Graf and Sons as I just ordered 4 pounds of the Old Eynsford from them. Service was prompt. It is signature required delivery. Max storage for a private individual is 25 pounds per Federal Law. Pretty generous.

ahem.....the limit for an individual for sporting use is 50#.

Is black powder subject to regulation under Federal explosives laws?

Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of Federal explosives laws and regulations. However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4). However, persons engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in black powder in any quantity must have a Federal explosives license, and comply with recordkeeping, storage and conduct of business requirements. [18 U.S.C. 841(c), 841(d), 845(a)(5); 27 CFR 555.11: definitions of "explosives" and "explosive materials", 555.141(b)]

Latest posts

Back