• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Called a gun shop I use to work at years ago.
They are a outdoor sport shop and always had anything you could think of. It's where I always bought black powder. Well they don't carry black powder anymore. They kinda sounded like Ya right black powder ha ha.
It may be taboo and I'm not interested but is Triple seven a substitute to consider? I can get black powder but wanted to ask if the time comes.

I have been using Triple 7 recently in both of my t/c percussion guns with no issue but only because I have also been unable to find real black powder. Yesterday one of my local shops got an order of shuetzen Bp in so I grabbed 2 cans and will be using that from now on. Triple 7 burns hotter than black but is said to be harder to ignite. I guess I was fortunate to not have an issue as some do. I use CCI #11 magnum caps on both my rifles. Triple 7 is definitely NOT recommended for flintlocks

I get my Black powder at Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, Ky. Schuetzen-$22.99, Swiss-$31.99. They have to go outside the main building to a special storage building to get it. There are special storage rules for black powder that keep most gun shops from stocking it anymore.

Like most here i prefer Black in my rock sparkers. Now i got down bad low last year , had less than half LB. So i did a duplex, used 20 gr black, then poured T 7 3 f on top. I used 30 gr T7 in my .45 n 40 gr in my .50 cal.

Using t-7, 2f in 3 Hawkens w no problem. 2 TCs and 1 Traditions. All 50's. Balls and conicals. The 2 TCs were more finicky but that was cured by Knight Red Hot nipples. They have a larger flash hole [approx. .034] than standard TC nipples, which helps them. The Trad shoots flawlessly w their own nipples w a flash hole around .028. Can't get the real stuff locally so that is what I use w out complaint. A bit more potent, so reduce loads by 15% they say. See Hodgdon T-7 data online for loads and expected velocities. I have not chronied any velocities yet, but someone on here did and they did not seem too far off of Hodgdon. Cleans up well and in my rifles shoots very clean and accurately at 70 grains by volume. I do swipe between shots and sometimes you can feel the 'crud ring' starting but it clears out easily w the swipe and a little alcohol or swipe solution of your choice. Makes plenty of smoke but no egg salad. Sorry. SW

The substitute black powders are not as reliable or good as real black powder. By using real black powder in the 4F grade as an igniting charge and pan charge, the substitutes can be fired fairly well in a flintlock. Still not as good as real black powder, but well enough to continue shooting.

I'm going to start making my own black powder soon. I tried it already and got results but not great results. I found a guy on YouTube who pretty much shows you how to make it and have it ignite fast. It's fairly easy to do. The ingredients are readily available. I should be able to cut my cost to about 1/3 too.

Back