• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what's wrong here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get through the 4 step process above, you should have someone look at the lock to assess the integrity of the full cock notch as the tumbler may be soft and the notch is now worn.

Hey Mushka...........Some free advise....4-u There are many things that can cause a lock to fire the cock forward when fully cocked. If your unfamiliar w/these problems , for safety sake , please find someone that can fix the problem. If you can't cock the lock into the fire position , that's hammer all the way back , and bump the rifle butt firmly on the floor , it's not safe to use. ......oldwood
Copy that, Oldwood!

The lock on my harpers ferry pistol was doing the same thing right out of the box. I had to tweak the sear spring down a bit so it would hold a bit more pressure on the sear. Otherwise gravity would allow the sear to drop out of the notch if you pulled the hammer beyond full cock.

Chris

The first thing to do when troubleshooting a lock is to determine if the lock works correctly out of the rifle. Most lock problems are caused by wood interference. Make sure the lock is lubed and clean. That would be a good start.
Yeah at least he's asking for help in the right place.

Back