• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

not holding half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the photo, the sear is in the full cock notch. The ½ cock notch is ahead of that on the tumbler, and it is almost non existent.
I suppose a new tumbler would fix it, but seems like some other problems in the mix.

All,
I have a TRS Tower Long land lock that is functioning fine in my hand..ie..holds half cock n...unable to get it to go off in HC. Nice transition to full cock. Buttery smooth. When I place it into the stock I will not hold half cock. Goes off just as if on full cock when I pull the trigger. What is going on? How can I correct this. Pictures are at half cock. I can send more pics if needed. This is frustrating as I tested in the stock earlier and it worked fine. At the end game now...can't believe this came up.

Did TRS assemble this lock?

Is this a 1728 or a 1742 era lock? Or a different one all together?

Every time i look at this lock i see something wrong.

The tumbler doesn’t look like a typical long land tumbler, to me it looks like a much earlier Tumbler.

The cocks position in the picture looks like its at halfcock.

The small notch i had circled on the tumbler is not technically a half cock notch, on early tumblers, its not technically a notch per say but more like a break, you see it on Dog lock tumblers, early Dutch guns, and early french tumblers…. Thats what that looks like to me.

Can you show a picture of the lock without the bridle?

The bigger issue with your lock is where the lock bolt is drilled, it’s way too far high up, it will not seat in the stock correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Like " they " said ....your either hitting
wood somewhere or there isn't enough slop between the sear arm and trigger . Inlet black the sear arm and the sear , esp bottom part near mortice wood . The slop thing ....if it isn't hitting wood ,a lot of times ,unfortunately ,you have to file material off your trigger ,I had to do this on NW gun I'm finishing now ....and I hate it .... I hate slop in the trigger but many times the sear needs to travel a bit more for it to go where its supposed to be for it to work correctly ....best of luck

Like " they " said ....your either hitting
wood somewhere or there isn't enough slop between the sear arm and trigger . Inlet black the sear arm and the sear , esp bottom part near mortice wood . The slop thing ....if it isn't hitting wood ,a lot of times ,unfortunately ,you have to file material off your trigger ,I had to do this on NW gun I'm finishing now ....and I hate it .... I hate slop in the trigger but many times the sear needs to travel a bit more for it to go where its supposed to be for it to work correctly ....best of luck
More important with slop, a tightly fit trigger will many times not work in wet weather. Things swell enough a gun won't hold half and sometimes full cock.

Back