• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats a good lube for rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear oil, bear grease, deer tallow, lard, beef tallow, Bore butter, Crisco and many others. This is just a small selection of what I have read people use. Find one that you can get easily, is inexpensive, and that YOUR rifle likes!

you'll probably get as many ideas as there are shooters on this forum. :rotf: Everyone seems to have their own favorite. I use equal parts of bees wax, Crisco, and olive oil melted together to form a soft paste.

If you prefer a liquid straight olive (or sweet oil)in a small squeeze bottle is also good. Alot of the old timers used whatever animal tallow they had on hand.

That said good old spit works just as good as anything and don't cost a thing.

You'll start another 'patch lube war' here. IMO try Go-Jo white hand cleaner for patch lube and field wipe-down.

You didn't say what you want to lube. The roundball patch? The lock? Rust protection?
Please clarify.

HD

FLINTLOCK said:
I use NL1000 for all hunting, and for range shooting during our warm, high humidity months;

I use Hoppes No9 PLUS for range shooting during our cold, low humidity months.

NL1000 is the only bore lube I use

either Murphy's Oil Soap thinned with alcohol or water "wetted" with a drop or two of Dawn soap.

CS

Been using T/C 1000 Plus for as long as its been out.

Each ball glides down the barrel, as easy as the first.

Ive shot 60 balls in an afternoon, never cleaned swabbed, spit, nor had to whine.

I used groundhog&beeswax 20yrs,now use deer tallow. Like it better as it don't need the beeswax. Dilly

i buy non lubed patches and then use a #11 percussion cap tin and put my patches in there and then cover the top of the patch over with a layer of borebutter and heat the tin with a candle until the borebutter is melted then allow the tin to cool down and into the freezer it goes. Thats just to cool the borebutter down so its not so messy and then i'll put them in a little plastic bag.

Roundball there were several posts here a few days ago about some lubes causing burning patches and setting ground litter fires. You have often said you like Hoppie #9 for cold weather and I just bought some for the first time. I have been using BB but as you know in cold weather it's pretty stiff. I am also sure you know about the fire hazards in MT. The question is, will Hoppies set the woods on fire? (I enjoy your posts) :v

sidelock said:
I am also sure you know about the fire hazards in MT. The question is, will Hoppies set the woods on fire?
I'd bet lunch they will not...never had one even think about smoldering at the range.

I've only been using Hoppes the past two winters at the range so I can shoot the whole sessions without wiping between shots...can't do that with NL1000 in low humidity/dry conditions as it's not wet enough to keep the fouling soft.

I know Hoppes is listed as a solvent AND patch lube...but I just can't bring myself to use something that wet down on my powder charge when sitting in the woods for a few hours hunting...I always use the NL1000 for hunting.

Fortunately here in NC, the coldest it usually gets during hunting season is in the mid-teens while walking in before sunup, and is usually up in the 20s-30s by mid morning...so I'm not the best real cold weather reference for this.

I have had the thought that one Saturday morning when I'm going to the range, I'll try to remember to load a Flintlock when I first get up, then by the time I leave, drive 30 miles, set up to shoot, that wet patch will have been on the powder for a good hour...see if I can tell any difference...let us know your results too

I use nothing else for target shooting. HBP+ has never failed, be it dry or wet out. In the very dry areas of the west BB is never wet enough. In the winter you can not get it out of the tube.
I use HBP+ in the desert S.W. as well as the High Plains and Mtns. of Wyoming. For hunting at Temps. below 32F you may want some thing like TOW mink oil. :thumbsup:

Kentuckywindage,
:hmm: Nice idea...Mite try that with
'moose snot'.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Spit. It's cheap, always with you and is less messy than a can full of goop.

Many Klatch

Just about anything slippery will work fine for a patch lube. Plain 'ol Crisco works great. I use BreakFree CLP. Just put a single drop in the center of the patch and put 'em in a ziploc bag. The lube will eventually migrate to cover the entire patch. I clean the barrel with hot, soapy water; let it dry; then run a CLP soaked patch down the bore before putting it away. A quick swab with a dry patch is all you need before going to the range, etc. Don't be surprised when it comes out black, though. CLP keeps cleaning while its in the bore, and will lift any remaining residue out of the pores of the metal. A lot of guys will try to tell you that using anything but their witches brew of bear grease and unicorn urine or whatever will cause your barrel to fill up completely with an impossible to remove residue in one shot. Just remember, the Mil-Spec for CLP requires it to work on blackpowder. You can also squirt some BreakFree Carbon Cutter in the nipple hole and let it sit a few minutes before cleaning with the hot, soapy water. This will dissolve any carbon in the powder chamber area of the plug. The best thing I've found for the outside of the rifle is Boeshield T9. Spray it on and wipe off the excess. It dries to a very thin wax film. Nothing rusts with that stuff on it.

There is as many answers to this question as there are folks with guns! :rotf: :rotf:
I have tired the spit lube, gives me the cotton mouth if I shoot much. :grin:
I either use the TC prelubes and I am not sure what's on them, but works real good.
On my own patches I have tried Hoppes#9BP solvent. I like the results and it seems to be slightly better than the TC prelubes, on the fouling!
Some folks say the gun dictates the lube, so you keep trying till you find one that the patches seem to do well with and you get the least fouling!
But is that the gun saying that or you? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back