• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What doesn't work as patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Since there are hundreds of patch lube threads, and almost any liquid or oil works as patch lube; instead of cataloging everything that works, it's probably shorter (and more useful) to list of what doesn't work as patch lube.

I'll start us off...

HONEY: Yes, it's natural, delicious, and good for a lot of things, but putting the sticky, viscous, golden stuff on your patches and down your barrel will not help your shooting in any way, shape, or form. In fact, the sugar will burn, carbonize, build up, and make loading impossible. Honey

Laurel Mountain browning solution - it might be a decent lube but its gunna really effect accuracy after a short wait.

The one thing I've learned on the Internet is, if it's liquid or even semi solid it's somebody's favorite patch lube. And the more ingredients the better!
From what I've read, ain't nothin' that doesn't work!

Waterless hand cleaner is excellent in a ML shotgun. No pumice though. I used to use it after the powder an seated the wad over, just a tiny dab. I got the kind that came in a tube. I am sure it wetted a little powder. It did leave the bore really snotty and slick. I could shoot at doves all afternoon and never think about cleaning the bore.

Seems like everyone hates bore butter. For years I have used pre-lubed patches from TOW sold as Wonder Lube, which I'm told is bore butter. I shoot all year. In Florida. In August. In the WI terms in VA. Never ever had an issue with that lube. Most all the concoctions and favorites shooters swear by are no better or worse. Unless a lube is really weird I don't think any will be an issue. Unless you need a grease for bullets; that's a whole other thing. Long ago I just used spit with no problems.

Go-Jo hand cleaner with pumice. Maybe good for two shots to polish up some pits in a rusty bore.
I have used the pumice type to polish the feed ramp and chamber on 1911 pistols. I might consider it to clean up crusty or rusty bores just not for continuous patch lube. Might actually work to remove rust using a tight patched ball.

Latest posts

Back