• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A SMR with a good stick of curly maple, Winchester red high lights (never cared for the Aqua fortice dark stain look) , good architecture, iron furniture "no brass" to wood fit and oil pore ,filled finish , perhaps a bit of incise carving accented with a small amount of silver wire and no crow bait brass and silver charm manure all over it mucking up the form and function !
A wood cover patch box would be a very nice touch as well !
Double that.

I'm kind of in the same predicament büchsenmacher, I got a 40" .45 and a beautiful piece of curly maple, that with some judicious planning, I could make into a fullstock. Right now I'm torn between a Kuntz type Lehigh and a Vincent style fullstock flintlock.
Kind of like being in the ice cream parlor and deciding which flavor to get, they're all good!
The last time I was in a spot like this I went with a Tennessee Mountain Rifle, I really like that raw boned style!
Good luck in your decision making and enjoy!
Robin

A Ohio type. Pewter tip half stock with plenty of inlays.
This is also what I would build except for the copious amounts of inlays that Phil wants to install:). I built two like this for two woman shooters in .45 caliber with shotgun flat style butt plates and they LOVE them:thumb:;). IMG_1522.jpgIMG_1521.jpg

I buillt this in 2018 using one of Jerry Cunninghams Montana barrels I had since 1978 along with the stock. 35" x 7/8 x .50. L&R Durs Egg lock, captured wedge. If I were to do it again I'd use walnut and profile the butt differently along with an English butt plate. Fore end tip is buffalo horn. Trigger plate is hand made and trigger guard is held by a hook at the front end of the bow.
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing.

Here is the second rifle that is the sister match to the rifle in the message that I posted above. It is a left hander as the shooter is left handed.
IMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.JPGIMG_1607.JPG

There's something appealing about the half stock rifles of the 1820-40 era. They generally had longer barrels than later "mountain" guns, with 33" being in the range of minimum length. I really like the overall lines.

Back