• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas on Flint British officers fusil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Many years ago I purchased a stock and barrel for a possible construct of the above. The stock is a somewhat precarved walnut stock. The barrel is a Paris and Sons, octagon to round tapered, rifled, and about 45 or 50 caliber (dont remember which). The stock has the ramrod groove drilled, and looks to be for a wooden ramrod. Hardware installed is a british style brass butplate with a tapered tang like a fusil, and a somewhat ornate brass trigger guard like a fusil. . I have an early style lock, flat with a rounded bottom banana shape.

I prefer military style guns and so I thought I would try to do a British officers fusil.

Would appreciate any suggestions, ideas on remaining parts, pictures of something like this finished.

Thanks much

Here's an original. I'm toying with the Idea of one as well in 16ga. Brass buttplate and furniture. 40" Full round barrel. I believe this example is .69"
Screenshot_20240418-115248_Chrome.jpg

I am currently building a “British Officer’s Fusil” from parts sold from The Rifle Shop back in 1995 or so. (Evidently there was no such gun and The Rifle Shop stopped marketing these parts for one.)
The parts come from various Brown Bess models, an Earl Ray rifled .62, 38” barrel and what seems to be an Early Virginia Chambers lock engraved like a Bess lock.
Good luck with the phantom Fusil 😉

I am currently building a “British Officer’s Fusil” from parts sold from The Rifle Shop back in 1995 or so. (Evidently there was no such gun and The Rifle Shop stopped marketing these parts for one.)
The parts come from various Brown Bess models, an Earl Ray rifled .62, 38” barrel and what seems to be an Early Virginia Chambers lock engraved like a Bess lock.
Good luck with the phantom Fusil 😉
There are no Officers any thing above sergeants NCO s . Officers patterns don't happen, didn't happen if what they took for sporting purpose along with their dogs ect are any ones guess but its private purchase if they did but Nothing' issued' .Officers had better things to do than be shooting muskets. The French on the other hand had all kinds of issued arms at all levels
.40" barrels ? 46 42 then 39 'for Muskets, carbines varied lots of varients but nothing 'Officer issue ' Rudyard, Who wasn't there but can read

I will concede that officers even in this day must privately purchase many items issued to enlisted troops. I have no doubt that almost all "Officer's Fusils" were privately purchased. It is possible ALL British Officer's Fusils were privately purchased. Most originals I've found seem to be in the .65-.70" range (common pistol calibers of the day). I even found a museum website with a fusil with a brass barrel. Interestingly I also found one with a "Tower" lock. It's definitely a fusil and not an issue musket. 40" barrel .70 cal with a cut checkered wrist. Highly unlikely an issue arm. However, several examples have regimental numbers engraved on the butt. Most seem to have bayonet lugs, often as the front sight. But I recall one example with a bead very much like a modern shotgun and the bayonet lug was mounted on the bottom of that barrel.

They are fascinating weapons and a little peice of history most don't know about.

Here is the link to the Tower locked fusil.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...of-1812--napoleonic-wars.cfm?gun_id=102548435

Attachments

• BRITISH-OFFICER-S-FUSIL-FLINTLOCK-70-Musket-King-George-III-TOWER-Antique-WAR-of-1812-NAPOLEON...jpg
    BRITISH-OFFICER-S-FUSIL-FLINTLOCK-70-Musket-King-George-III-TOWER-Antique-WAR-of-1812-NAPOLEON...jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back