• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would cause this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot the fusil again. Cleaned it up and where the shot columb would be there were a few slivers of lead and while cleaning that area felt rough.Will a paper shot sleeve help ir do I need to polish that area to make it smooth?
Any help appreciated.
Maybe the way I build the load could be it.

Mine likes all the wads well lubed, shot or bare ball. I use wool wads mostly, with some half inch cushion wads thrown in occasionally (trying to use them up). I just roll them between my fingers like a wheel across the tin of TOTW mink oil to lube the edges. The wool wads are pre-lubed and if I use them "as is" I will get slivers of leading under certain conditions. YMMV

No cushion wads. I'm using two over powder cards then shot then one over shot card. Patterns good. I'm not using any wads. The ones I have are a pressed fiber,,reminds me of celetex used in housing construction.
My powder is 70 gr. 3f and 1 1/4 oz #6 hard shot

You are describing leading. Lead is sloughing off on the barrel as the shot column travels. It comes off easily enough with a bore brush and there are several compounds and chemicals to assist.

A paper cup might or might not help. A greased patch or wad may make it easier to remove but, in my experience, it’s normal but needs to be removed.

I am sure there are many here with way more experience than mine but I offer my two cents.

Are they lubed?

There's a couple of good threads on here about shooting smooth bores. I think one was called "Why a smoothbore", and another about "shot patterns" or patterning. They went on for pages and alot of the most experienced regulars chimed in.

Are they lubed?

There's a couple of good threads on here about shooting smooth bores. I think one was called "Why a smoothbore", and another about "shot patterns" or patterning. They went on for pages and alot of the most experienced regulars chimed in.
I will look for those threads. Thanks

There is a shot cup/cartridges tutorial pinned at the top of this smoothbore section. My method is a bit more complicated than some, but eliminated problems I was having with the paper tearing when twisting it closed, or not closing tight enough. Several people responded with their methods as well so you can see a few possibilities in one place. There is also a pinned sticky about the Skychief method up there.

As to the rough spot,,,,, smoother is always better. The smoother and more highly polished you can get metal the easier it is to keep clean and corrosion free.

There is a shot cup/cartridges tutorial pinned at the top of this smoothbore section. My method is a bit more complicated than some, but eliminated problems I was having with the paper tearing when twisting it closed, or not closing tight enough. Several people responded with their methods as well so you can see a few possibilities in one place. There is also a pinned sticky about the Skychief method up there.

As to the rough spot,,,,, smoother is always better. The smoother and more highly polished you can get metal the easier it is to keep clean and corrosion free.
Thankyou very Much I will give that good read.

No cushion wads. I'm using two over powder cards then shot then one over shot card. Patterns good. I'm not using any wads. The ones I have are a pressed fiber,,reminds me of celetex used in housing construction.
My powder is 70 gr. 3f and 1 1/4 oz #6 hard shot
You need a good cushion wad. That's what they are for. Your lead is deforming against the side of the barrel, at ignition. A cushion wad helps prevent this.

You need a good cushion wad. That's what they are for. Your lead is deforming against the side of the barrel, at ignition. A cushion wad helps prevent this.
Thanks Mike , I'm kinda new to shooting shot from a ML. Here's a pic if what I have.
Are these ok? I can lube them up.

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_122331.jpg
    IMG_20230920_122331.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 0
Initially, I tried various shot loads. I loaded with cushion wads, 1/8" felt wads and card wads only. I never did get into shot loads too deeply so have yet to try Skychief's load. I haven't hunted with shot in a very long time and do not hunt at all now. Thus, I've ended my load development for anything to do with hunting. I kill paper nowadays even though I can't eat it.

Those are the style of "cushion wad" I use. I soak them good with either: Lehigh Valley Lube, Synthetic Whale Oil, or Wonder Lube - then let dry on a rag. Then when I use them I lube the edges as explained before

Your post had me reviewing some other threads about "shot" loads and development. In the TC smooth bores several posters mentioned getting better patterns by using 1/2 a wad vs the whole thing. There's probably a correlation between powder charge, shot charge and wad thickness. I suspect Mike's assessment is right on the money.

Back