• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried out the new gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried posting about this a few days ago but musta hit the wrong button, cuz it ain't here. Any way, that gun I bought from Track on Thanksgiving evening, I have found out for sure that our own Rob Miller was indeed behind its creation. Week ago Wednesday I got off work early and grabbed what stuff I had and headed to the range. Still waiting to get nitro cards, wads and all that stuff so I just improvised. First load was 65gr of 2F G&S (Schuetzen), tore off a chunk of fast food joint napkin and shoved it down then tamped it with the cleaning jag to flatten it out. Tipped the barrel down, nothing leaked so in went an equal volume of #5 shot then a 1 1/4 round patch shoved in with the starter then seated and tamped with the cleaning jag. Again tipped the barrel, no leaking shot so primed and Shboom! Target was at 25 paces. I'm not complaining.
View attachment KIMG0304.JPG
Shot a few round balls as well with good grouping. I'm very pleased. However; this dummy didn't run enough swabs with the worm or use the scrapper before I sent a cleaning jag with patch down that barrel and it got STUCK. Meanwhile a couple of yahoos show up with an AR they have zero clue how to run. While I'm trying to get the range rod out of my gun, they're shooting at a target at 50 yards but hitting MINE at 25! I won't bother to show you a picture of that mess. I finally admit defeat, pack up, then go help the yahoos get that cheap AR running and the red dot sighted in. Went home clamped on the vice grips, tap tap tap with a deadblow one way then the other and I eventually worked it out and gave her a thorough cleaning. Supposed to be nice Thursday. Maybe we'll give it another try; and hope for no yahoos...

Make up some olive oil and beeswax grease, or olive oil and tallow, coconut fat, anything plant or animal based.
Make grease cookie as part of the loading.
Every two or three shots.
No need to swab then and the fouling will stay soft.
Even better, get some finer grade powder.
You can use less for the same results.

@Tony Rothrock, was that cleaning patch dampened before you sent it down the barrel? I have had dry patches on a cleaning jag get stuck. There are many threads on the forum about the removal of a dry patched cleaning jag that got stuck when wiping a fouled barrel. I have never had a damp patch get stuck. It is good procedure to have a slightly undersized jag for this kind of fouling removal. Still use a damp patch but the patch will slide over the fouling and the moisture will soften the fouling and breakup the hard crust at the breech. When pulling the jag and patch out, the patch will bunch up and remove the fouling and the crusty ring. Oh, yes, @Britsmoothy's grease cookie will work too and is great for use when hunting and will be firing many shots.

Some of the above methods for stuck rod removal are ones I've used on a few occasions. A rod with a patch can also get stuck in the bore if the vent liner protrudes just a teeny bit into the bore. This is more common than it sounds.

Tried posting about this a few days ago but musta hit the wrong button, cuz it ain't here. Any way, that gun I bought from Track on Thanksgiving evening, I have found out for sure that our own Rob Miller was indeed behind its creation. Week ago Wednesday I got off work early and grabbed what stuff I had and headed to the range. Still waiting to get nitro cards, wads and all that stuff so I just improvised. First load was 65gr of 2F G&S (Schuetzen), tore off a chunk of fast food joint napkin and shoved it down then tamped it with the cleaning jag to flatten it out. Tipped the barrel down, nothing leaked so in went an equal volume of #5 shot then a 1 1/4 round patch shoved in with the starter then seated and tamped with the cleaning jag. Again tipped the barrel, no leaking shot so primed and Shboom! Target was at 25 paces. I'm not complaining.
View attachment 273686
Shot a few round balls as well with good grouping. I'm very pleased. However; this dummy didn't run enough swabs with the worm or use the scrapper before I sent a cleaning jag with patch down that barrel and it got STUCK. Meanwhile a couple of yahoos show up with an AR they have zero clue how to run. While I'm trying to get the range rod out of my gun, they're shooting at a target at 50 yards but hitting MINE at 25! I won't bother to show you a picture of that mess. I finally admit defeat, pack up, then go help the yahoos get that cheap AR running and the red dot sighted in. Went home clamped on the vice grips, tap tap tap with a deadblow one way then the other and I eventually worked it out and gave her a thorough cleaning. Supposed to be nice Thursday. Maybe we'll give it another try; and hope for no yahoos...
.. :D

To answer some of the questions - Yep, I've got the olive oil/wax lube made up and used soaked patches on the round ball shots. The cleaning patches I sent down with the worm had been in my mouth, tucked between my cheek and gum like a hunk of "chaw" so they were wet when they went down. The patch I sent with the cleaning jag was dry - rookie mistake. I have since invested a few dollars in a .58 cal jag for those occasions I get stupid and fire off more than a dozen shots before swabbing my barrel... Also added to my shooting bag, a container ( a hip flask actually) containing one of the many recipes for "Moose Milk". When I got home I stood her up in the doorway to my gun room and put about a teaspoon of Ballistol down the barrel and let it sit for a half hour. Lessons learned!

To answer some of the questions - Yep, I've got the olive oil/wax lube made up and used soaked patches on the round ball shots. The cleaning patches I sent down with the worm had been in my mouth, tucked between my cheek and gum like a hunk of "chaw" so they were wet when they went down. The patch I sent with the cleaning jag was dry - rookie mistake. I have since invested a few dollars in a .58 cal jag for those occasions I get stupid and fire off more than a dozen shots before swabbing my barrel... Also added to my shooting bag, a container ( a hip flask actually) containing one of the many recipes for "Moose Milk". When I got home I stood her up in the doorway to my gun room and put about a teaspoon of Ballistol down the barrel and let it sit for a half hour. Lessons learned!
Also if you get a patch stuck in the barrel just dump water down the barrel then wait a minute and it should work loose .

I carry a hunk of strong cord in my bag. If my ramrod gets stuck I make about a dozen wraps around the ramrod and tie the loose end around a sapling and jerk the gun until it comes loose. It ain't easy but it sure beats going home before you are done hunting.

View attachment 273686
Good looking pattern to me. Ought to make meat with it!!

Latest posts

Back