• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC White Mountain Carbine .50
It was 1994 and I was 12 Grandpa taught me to load and shoot and I killed my first wild hog with it that year. Killed deer and hogs with it for years until I moved up to a TC Hawken when I was 19.

A reproduction of a Parker Hale .58 caliber 2 band 1861 Enfield ( the one using the same gauges that were used to make the original). Purchased in 1976 with the Birmingham barrel and all the appropriate stamps on the lock, stock and barrel. It is still in the same condition as when I “drove it off the lot”, extra fine.

A CVA Kentucky rifle kit, .45 cal. It looked interesting and I was looking for something new to do. That was in 1979 or 1980. My son still has it but shoots it infrequently. I have always wanted a .50 cal. Hawken so it's what I own and shoot now.

210723-999  CVA 45 cal Kentucky - built in early 1980s  2 x 1_333.jpg

By the way, if you still have your first muzzle loader/black powder gun, post a picture of it. It always makes the story more interesting.

Last edited:
.50 Navy Arms percussion Kentucky rifle. It kicked my head off everytime I shot it and gave me a black eye and a headache so I traded it for a dog.
That dog liked me a lot better than that Navy Arms rifle did.

CVA Kentucky Long Rifle and Pistol (Jukar?), both were .45 cal percussion guns. Got them both at the same time. 1977 or 78. My dad helped a fella out and in turn we picked them up. I had known about ML's for a while just never had the opportunity to obtain one until then.

RM
Hey me too I lived in northern Arlington Virginia and I could get one Christmas present when I was 13 and it was a CVA Kentucky rifle , Jukar Spain later

I got a CVA Kentucky pistol also made in Jukar spain

I now have a semi custom golden age Lancaster rifle flinter 50 caliber made by Nathan Stevenson and now that it has more embellishments on it it has no nose cap

My first BP gun was an 1851 for $24. My first rifle was a 58 Zuave. I think I bought it in 1970. Got my first mule loader whitetail with it. Great shooter.

CVA Big Bore Mtn rifle in.54 cal and a50 cal pistol.

Attachments

• 20210722_133333.jpg
    20210722_133333.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210722_133245.jpg
    20210722_133245.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 28
Here's my story. I don't have one yet, but I have the parts and nearly have the barrel inletted to n the blank.

Bought a Winchester 1886 and started shooting BP
Read Courage Undaunted
Read The Big Sky, by A B Guthrie
A fellow let me shoot his flinter at the range
I started researching building
Maybe I'll have it finished by this fall

My first Black Powder experience was in 1969 when I bought a percussion Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol. I had wanted to buy an 1860 army .45 cal. revolver but they were sold out. It had a naval scene engraved on the cylinder and price was right around $100. The Kentucky Pistol I got was .45 cal. Couldn't figure out how to adjust the fixed sights, so just shot it to find how much I needed to compensate and then killed ground squirrels with it at my Grandpa's Ranch. Put it aside along with a jar of black powder (half full) and some Crisco patches and rarely used it after that.

When I moved to VT in 1998 I bought a "modern" muzzle loader for deer hunter and paid just over $100 for it. A few years later I got real interested in Rev War reenactments and bought a Traditions Pennsylvania longrifle. Took it down to a spot in Frog Hollow (honest to God name of the road) where I could shoot it and took along some Pyrodex that I'd used for my other unmentionable rifle. I just could not get that thing to fire at all. Then I remembered my half-filled jar of Black Powder from 1969, dug that out and tried it. Went off on the first try and was very reliable.

Then in about 2007, I think, I bought my Early Lancaster from tg who was a member here on the forum at the time. It's an absolutely beautiful rifle and I've been shooting it ever since.

So, in 1969 a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol was my first muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back