• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was a TC Renegade 50 I bought new in 1996 to start muzzleloader hunting with my dad who got his TC New Englander 50 new one year before. I still have it and it's still in excellent condition. Last weekend I let my 14 year old daughter who is a blossoming gun nut shoot it for the first time and she loves it. I'd like to find a nice TC White Mountain Carbine for her birthday in August.

Here is my Renegade and the receipt 🙂
IMG_20220122_133426185.jpg
IMG_20220226_125942355~2.jpg

Mine was a Ruger Old Army. I purchased it from a little gun shop on the east side of Indianapolis. I worked at a local Drug Store, and dropped by the shop just to browse on my lunch break. Saw the ROA and iirc I paid about $150 for it NIB. that was in 1975. I had been an unmentionable gun owner/shooter since I was a kid. Not sure what drove me to buy this, but I still have it. I also have my Dad's ROA which he purchased after seeing and shooting mine.
View attachment 81718
Its mind boggling how the ROA's have increased in price to the astronomical prices they are selling for now. A brother in MML hooked me up with a real " deal of a lifetime " for the ROA I got a few months ago. I got some 220gr Kaido bullets for it ( I'm not a round ball shooter at all ". I use T7fff powder in it. Its really an awesome BP pistol - my first. I'll be turkey hunting with it very shortly & super excited about it too.

I'm curious to know what was your first BlackPowder firearm? Was it a rifle or a smoothbore?

What made you want to buy it?

How experienced/knowledgeable with this sport/hobby were you, when you bought your first BlackPowder gun?
Not my first muzzleloader, two rifles of note.
0AA8FF72-FFD2-476B-B5EE-0BEEAEAE4CD2.jpeg

The upper gun is a Pedersoli .50 calibre Alamo Rifle. I bought the gun at a pawnshop back in the late 80’s/early 90’s. It’s fairly light to carry in the woods. with a 7/8” barrel, 36” in length. 100 grains of ffg and a patched RB was my standard hunting load in this gun, putting shots into an 1 1/2” to 2” group at 100 yrds. I hunted with this gun for many many years, taking deer and lots of elk. The gun never failed me when I needed it to go boom. It was a meat making machine. When I retired my CVA .50 calibre Mountain Rifle, the Alamo Rifle became my goto gun. It’s lighter, and just as accurate. At the time I was enthralled by finally having a gun with a full stock. Everyone had half-stock CVAs, Thompson Centers, Lyman’s. I would shoot this gun up until I switched over to shooting flintlocks, around 15-20 years ago.

The lower gun was purchased at a Rendezvous; at that time it was a .32 calibre Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle. I hunted small game with this little .32 for many years, but the accuracy was just never as good as my Pedersoli .32 BlueRidge percussion. So I recently had this gun rebarreled with a 36” Corleraine barrel, in .45 calibre. I wanted a .40 calibre, but after 3 weeks of searching, .45 is what I could find. This gun is probably my most accurate flintlock…well maybe I should say it’s my flintlock that I can shoot most accurately. Using 55 grains fffg and blue pillow ticking, at 50 yards the group is a single ragged hole, at 100 yards the gun groups right around 1 1/2”. I’ve become so impressed with the feel, balance, handle-ability, and accuracy of this rifle….that I went out and bought another Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle in .50 calibre. I just ordered a 36” Corleraine barrel in .54 calibre, so when it’s done I’ll have a matched pair of these rifle. The .54 should be 1 pound heavier than the .45…very excited about this project.

Last edited:
About 45 years ago, I shot my first muzzleloader. It was a friend's flintlock pistol. I said that one day, I would have to get one of my own. Well, about five years ago, I bought a Traditions Frontier flintlock for a retirement project (I was about 10 months away from retirement). Well, last month, I finally built the darn thing. I think it looks great, but have yet to get it to the range. I should be there Tuesday though. Once I finished the rifle, I decided it needed a pistol to go with it, so now I'm in the process of building a Traditions Trapper pistol, also in flintlock. I do have an 1851 Navy cap and ball from Pietta, that I shoot. It's fun, but I'm really looking forward to the flints.
Frontier.jpg

My first was a brand new TC Firestorm. I was with some buddies at a gun shop and was looking for a Hawken to hunt Pa’s late season but they didn’t have any and the FS was the only one they had. My buddies were on me to buy it which i didn’t want a stainless/plastic gun. This went on for awhile, the shop owner told my buddy he will drop the price and i got it for $219.00.

Way back then i was kinda new to black powder. My buddies had flintlocks so i was able to shoot them many times. I learned a little but they were not big into shooting them as they had them for hunting in the late season.

My first ML was a complete & original Robbins & Lawrence US M 1841 “Mississippi” rifle still in .54, that I bought from an old gentleman back in 1970 for $40!! A few months later, (like a total idiot) I swapped it at a local gunshop for an Italian repro Model 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle! The shop owner was probably trying to keep from laughing at my stupidity.

My first was a T/C Hawken .45 in 1979 when I was 15. The Pennsylvania flintlock season went state wide that year and I wasn't ready to stop hunting when the reagular deer season ended. I knew absolutely nothing about flintlocks when I got it. I read the booklet that came with it, shot it all summer and learned enough to take a doe that season and been learning something everyday since. Now that's all that I hunt any firearms season with.

My first black powder was a Thompson Center 50 caliber Hawken rifle. My wife bought it for me as a Christmas present in 1977 from the JC Penney store in Anchorage, Alaska. I was stationed there in the Army. It was a kit. I put it together on our apartment kitchen table. I still have the rifle.

A newTC Hawken .50 cal. In 1977.
90 grains of Goex 2f under a round ball in a poly patch. Very accurate and deadly.
Stolen in ‘96 when I lived in Alaska.

Hi all,
Mine was a .50 TC Hawken kit that i got thru a dealer friend of mine for 75.00 I have killed 2 deer and won some matches with it .Im a lefty and i line up the sights ,shut my eyes and sqeeze the trigger. I still have it..and both flint and percussion kits for it.
I have a Euroarms Kentuckyian that i never fired ,its marked .44 ,anyone know how they are to shoot.? Thanks Fox .44.

mine a 50 cal t/c hawkens back in the early 70's,,still have it still shoot it, then i got a 54 cal and a 58 cal

1863 Springfield .58 cal musket. 1960 - I was 15, seller was a pal of mt Dad's, History Prof at U. Maryland. Shot it a lot at target matches, sold it back to him in '62 when we moved to Fla.
1973, built a .45 cal pistol, shot 1 doe with it, about 30 yards.

Latest posts

Back