• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 cal. GPR kit some time in the early 80's, I think I paid like 146.00 @ that time, I let it go to outfit myself to go to AK.

Apart from BP pistols and revolvers (22LR and other smokeless powders ten years earlier), my first muzzleloader was in 1968/1969 a Jukar (one of the old brands of Traditions) in this time called "Mountain Rifle" in .45 cal ...
Still have too.. ;)

Last edited:
The BP dragoon pistol my Father built from a kit. He died in 86, I just sent it to his Grandson , my nephew, that I havn't see for over 36 years. The pistol has the Grandfathers name engraved on the butt so the Grandson will like it. :)

Talking about times changing my first two muzzle loaders were awarded to be for safety on my job a 50 H&A hawken and A H&A 45 pistol kit now I am retired but if you have a weapon on the property now it would likely result in your loss of employment

They were rifles traded for and bought cheap in the late 1950s. Prior to the Civil War Centennial old muzzleloaders were cheap.

i owned a Hacker Martin rifle that was found along with two PA style long rifles in a dumpster in Alexandria, VA

First was a Remington Army .44 cal. brass frame revolver kit from Dixie Gun Works. Learned a lot putting it together. Never shot it much. My first ml rifle was a CVA 'kentucky'. Everything about it screamed 'EL CHEAPO JUNK'. It had a two piece stock of unknown wood, a flint lock that rarely sparked, the barrel was two piece with the rifling going in two directions of each section. Sold it as fast as I could. Both were bought in 1970.

My first was a Uberti First Model Dragoon, that was soon joined by a stainless 1860 Army (I've never seen another one). I soon acquired a Lyman GPR in .54 that was built from a kit. During the great gun sell off of '83, those went but were soon replaced by a Navy Arms 12 gauge double that I still own. Later I traded a 22 that I wasn't fond of for an old used and somewhat abused Navy Arms 1858 Remington that I also still have.

Speaking of old CVA Kentuckies, years ago a relative gave me a caplock CVA Kentucky in .45 with the drum broke off the barrel that had been a wallhanger at his house for years. I ordered a new drum and nipple from Dixie, carried the barrel to work and used the machine shop there to drill and tap the barrel for the new drum. I gave that one to my brother.

I built my first flintlock at the age of 19. I was in my U of Kansas dormitory room and would have been kicked out of school had they found out. When I had it finished i transported it home in the cockpit of a TWA 707 because it was to long to fit in the overhead bins. Try that today! This is still my favorite hunting rifle and is now 52 years old!

Attachments

• D79E828E-A9F8-43C5-89FA-30D405F93F6D.jpeg
    D79E828E-A9F8-43C5-89FA-30D405F93F6D.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 43
a 9mm Spanish made something or the other. 1970 I traded a pocket knife for it. luckily it came with a ball mold.
standing inside the garage with the doors closed I still couldn't hit the broadside of anything. but it made white smoke , belched a long flame of fire at night and started a life long addiction.
actually this was not my first BP rifle. just my first front stuffer. my first BP rifle was a 1882 trapdoor. in 1958

Back