• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen hardening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've heard and read all kinds of 'recipes' for hardening a frizzen. What's your favorite method?

I've typically been a kasenite/cherry red subscriber. I recently tried to harden a worn out Lyman frizzen for a friend, but things didn't go well.
I suspect it was my differential heating - I had torch issues mid-process.

I've also heard you really only have one shot and hardening or it's scrap.

Is the frizzen made of a steel that can be hardened? Many are not, and are case hardened in the factory; which your friend found out. Case hardening compounds will work for a little while although the case hardened surface just isn't very thick. The key to using the compounds is getting frizzen face to a cherry red and keeping it that way for several minutes so the compound can penetrate. Keep heating it and adding compound as it boils off; then dunk in water. Polish the frizzen face and heat to faint straw color.

An alternative is tightly packing the frizzen in a tin can with powdered charcoal; then throwing it in the center of a hot fire (again think cherry red) for a couple of hours. After the fire dies down, reheat to cherry red and quench. If a file won't cut it, you have been successful. Again temper the face to a faint straw, and the foot/pivot to blue.

The easiest thing to do..... order a new frizzen.

Back