• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with this abused model 1842 musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an interesting old gun. The front sight installation appears to be a professional job, and the ramrod pipe under the barrel supports this. I know a lot of M1842 muskets were put back into service during the War Between the States. After the war, the United States Army was downsized and thousands of military arms were sold off to the public. A great many were "sporterized" by being cut down and half-stocked, and rifle muskets were reamed smooth. The enigma here is the stock being cut off flush with the barrel band. Most of the professionally modified guns had a few inches of wood protruding beyond that lower band after they were half stocked. Also, removal of the buttplate is unusual for a professionally modified gun. The original buttplate on this musket was flat, and pretty uncomfortable to shoot. The slightly rounded profile of the butt on your musket actually looks more comfortable, without the plate.

As for what to do with it, I have some opinions. I don't think it would be cost effective to try to restore it. There are still a number of more or less intact "forty-twos" in circulation, frequently selling for about the same price as a new modern reproduction. If the condition of the bore matches the outside of the barrel, it may be pretty rough. Dan Whitacre can make a new smoothbore barrel for you for $525, or a rifled one for $550 (see Whitacre's Machine Shop). Bob Hoyt could probably smooth the bore of the existing barrel, or line it, for a bit less than that, but I just spoke with Mr. Hoyt a few days ago and he is really trying to reduce his workload. He is still taking in a few simple jobs, but you would need to discuss this with him if you want to pursue it. In any event, a full restoration would likely cost you considerably more than buying a more intact and shootable original.

If it were me, I would want to shoot it. It sounds as if the original lock is still good, which is really not surprising. The original Springfield and Harpers Ferry locks were excellent. If the barrel is shootable or easily smoothed up, so much the better. I think I would try to graft on a piece of walnut to extend the forend ahead of the barrel band, just for appearance's sake.

When you take the breech out of the penetrating oil soak, you might try heating the bolster with a propane torch before attempting to remove the nipple. You don't need to get it red hot... just too hot to touch. If the nipple won't turn, let it cool, then heat it and try again.

I was thinking that, too. In fact here is an original cut-down M1842 with native associations, just to give an idea:

View attachment 255979
I like the simple, tasteful tack-work on this gun, which still has its buttplate. That's worth mentioning because lot of Indian guns had the buttplate removed. Some say this was so the metal could be used in making a hide scraper, others say Indians just didn't like metal buttplates against their bare skin on very cold or hot days. Whatever... I just know some guns with native provenance are missing their buttplates.

We are not supposed to post links to auction sites, but since this gun has already sold, I hope we are "legal" in posting a link. You can read more about this particular gun (and see a photo of the other side) right here, on the InValuable site: Springfield Model 1842 Cut Down Musket

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I am putting one together myself. I was given a crusty old Potsdam musket, missing parts, cut down stock and all…I have managed to get the lock functioning from my parts bin, I put a rawhide wrap around the wrist ( even though it was not cracked ) and have done some tack work…. I am cleaning up the barrel somewhat - I don’t expect much from it - but it appears ”shootable”… we’ll see.. In any event, it will display nicely with my small collection of cavalry carbines ! I’ll post some pics when I get it finished. 👍

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. I have enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts.
I am going to take it to the N-SSA meet tomorrow and see what some knowledgeable folks think when they see it in hand.
Take it by Lodgewood and have David take a look at it.

I wouldn’t change a thing. It’s history in your hands. I’d be proud to own it.
I’m with you, it’s an historic piece as it is.
I regret having sold a Bess that had been made into a half stock shotgun.
I had it in my 20s and hunted a lot with it, also had another around the same time that had an almost unused lock, carbine length barrel and had been crudely restocked [half stock] in Stringybark [a local hardwood], this went for spare parts; we simply didn’t appreciate the uniqueness of such guns.

That was my first thought, and would still be my preference. But the barrel has been cut down. The entire barreled receiver is now only 31 3/4 lunches long. The gun would have originally had a 42 inch barrel.
FWIW, should you decided to restore it Bobby Hoyt relined and "stretched" the barrel on my 1842 that was missing a few inches. He also added the missing bayonet mount. Cost me $200 and worth every penny to bring the old girl back to her former glory.

I have something similar. Its stamped 1862 on one side of hammer and what looks like Springfield on the other side.

Attachments

• 20230829_161557.jpg
    20230829_161557.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
FWIW, should you decided to restore it Bobby Hoyt relined and "stretched" the barrel on my 1842 that was missing a few inches. He also added the missing bayonet mount. Cost me $200 and worth every penny to bring the old girl back to her former glory.
That's incredible that he can do all that for only $200!

I have something similar. Its stamped 1862 on one side of hammer and what looks like Springfield on the other side.
Yessir. That one started life as a Model 1861 Springfield, although typically they had a little anterior loop on the trigger guard bow for a sling swivel. I don’t know if it might have been ground off, or if your gun was a variant of some sort.

Thousands of these war surplus guns were professionally “sporterized” and reamed smooth for sale as cheap fowling pieces to the civilian market. A lot of them were also sold “as is,” and ended up in civilian and native hands. However, the government also kept a few, and issued them to the infantry who were protecting the western frontier. Some were also converted to “trapdoor” type breechloaders. It is a little-appreciated fact that most of Fetterman’s command were armed with muzzle-loading Springfields when they were annihilated by the Lakota and their allies in December, 1866. I expect a few of those rifles ended up in the hands of the victors. This event provided additional stimulus to increase production and disbursement of the breech-loading Allin conversions, which made it to at least some of the frontier outposts the following year. The increased rate of fire enabled by these simple, single-shot breechloaders made all the difference in the Hayfield and Wagon Box fights of August, 1867. Old Jim Baker, the mountain man, was said to have been at the Wagon Box fight. Soldiers in the field at that time tended to be poor marksmen, so Jim did the shooting for them while three soldiers were loading and handing rifles to him. Jim was a crack shot.

Some of these beat-up old guns bagged rabbits and killed hogs for slaughter, and then got put in the barn after the family got a “better” gun. Some of them, though, are old warriors with stories to tell, if we could just hear them speak.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Just as a follow up, I did take this musket to the N-SSA fall nationals yesterday. Unfortunately, Mr Hoyt did not attend this year. But he was the
consensus recommendation for the job if I pursue getting the barrel repaired.
As an aside, this was my first time ever attending this event. My first surprise was there was no entry fee for guests. I had a family obligation to attend to Saturday morning and didn’t arrive until after 3pm. and some vendors on Sutler row had already packed up and left, even though Sunday is the main musket matches. Everyone I did get to talk to was friendly and helpful with my numerous questions. I spent most of my two hour visit in Sutler row as their was no apparent activity at the range.
My interest was piqued enough that I am going to try and locate a local regional match to attend.

Back