• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with this abused model 1842 musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an original 1842 musket that was probably modified long ago to use as a shotgun.
Barrel has been shortened about 8 inches and a brass front sight neatly dovetailed in. A rude ramrod holder crudely welded to the bottom of the barrel. The stock not only had the fore end chopped, the buttplate was removed and the butt rounded.

The action seems to function well, holds securely on both half and full cock. I have had the cone soaked with penetrating oil for a week, but have not removed it. The side plate is marked, Springfield 1846.

I had contemplated having the barrel cut back to carbine length, adding a saddle bar/ring and making a quasi “confederate carbine” as their cavalry was known to carry short shotguns.

I would be interested in others thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Honestly, I’d just leave it as is. If the bore is ok, you might just want to use it for its intended purpose- a meat getting shotgun used by thousands of pioneers who could not afford a cartridge shotgun. But it’s your gun, and a confederate cut down carbine out of it would be correct for a bushwhacker…..

There are a number of standardized conversions (see Macon conversions) of the 42 and I would make it conform to one of these rather than a "Hollywood Confederate Carbine" fantasy gun. The South cut down a lot of 42s but they were done to a pattern and not the whims of just any soldier.

If mine I would look for original or even repro parts that along with what is there and return it to it original configuration.
That was my first thought, and would still be my preference. But the barrel has been cut down. The entire barreled receiver is now only 31 3/4 lunches long. The gun would have originally had a 42 inch barrel.

That was my first thought, and would still be my preference. But the barrel has been cut down. The entire barreled receiver is now only 31 3/4 lunches long. The gun would have originally had a 42 inch barrel.
Perhaps a call to bobby hoyt could fix the barrel, or even a replacement barrel. I am sure there is a NSSA member or two here who would have in sight on the project. And perhaps places where a barrel could be had.

i would lose that awful rod barrel and splice a forearm under the band. find the original second and third band and mount them.
only a purist would notice the length.
find and install a steel butt plate and fix the break in the trigger guard. then brag about having a one of a kind.

lengthening a barrel requires a modified board stretcher. :ghostly:
sorry, the devil made me do it.
my old double rifle over shotgun has a octagonal breech with a round addition welded ahead. then honed smooth. with a bore scope you can just make out the join. done in 1840's.

Last edited:
It would work as a late frontier Indian gun.
About the only shotgun show in western movies is a double cartridge gun. There were probably more cut down smoothbore muskets in actual use.

Last edited:
Id leave it be. Its probably been through a war( maybe in the hands of a Confederate), and then served as a game getter and home protector. That's a lot more than most guns make it through.
What he said.
You might be interested in page 304 of the 1902 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog (reprint) where "A cut down musket for $2.75" is advertised. Said to be from "US Springfield Musket Model, 1863. Altered to shotgun." but the illustration is very similar to your specimen. "For quality of material, shooting qualities and durability, this gun is too well known to require any comment from us."
Other houses may have used the 1842; maybe Bannerman too?

Last edited:
That is an interesting old gun. The front sight installation appears to be a professional job, and the ramrod pipe under the barrel supports this. I know a lot of M1842 muskets were put back into service during the War Between the States. After the war, the United States Army was downsized and thousands of military arms were sold off to the public. A great many were "sporterized" by being cut down and half-stocked, and rifle muskets were reamed smooth. The enigma here is the stock being cut off flush with the barrel band. Most of the professionally modified guns had a few inches of wood protruding beyond that lower band after they were half stocked. Also, removal of the buttplate is unusual for a professionally modified gun. The original buttplate on this musket was flat, and pretty uncomfortable to shoot. The slightly rounded profile of the butt on your musket actually looks more comfortable, without the plate.

As for what to do with it, I have some opinions. I don't think it would be cost effective to try to restore it. There are still a number of more or less intact "forty-twos" in circulation, frequently selling for about the same price as a new modern reproduction. If the condition of the bore matches the outside of the barrel, it may be pretty rough. Dan Whitacre can make a new smoothbore barrel for you for $525, or a rifled one for $550 (see Whitacre's Machine Shop). Bob Hoyt could probably smooth the bore of the existing barrel, or line it, for a bit less than that, but I just spoke with Mr. Hoyt a few days ago and he is really trying to reduce his workload. He is still taking in a few simple jobs, but you would need to discuss this with him if you want to pursue it. In any event, a full restoration would likely cost you considerably more than buying a more intact and shootable original.

If it were me, I would want to shoot it. It sounds as if the original lock is still good, which is really not surprising. The original Springfield and Harpers Ferry locks were excellent. If the barrel is shootable or easily smoothed up, so much the better. I think I would try to graft on a piece of walnut to extend the forend ahead of the barrel band, just for appearance's sake.

When you take the breech out of the penetrating oil soak, you might try heating the bolster with a propane torch before attempting to remove the nipple. You don't need to get it red hot... just too hot to touch. If the nipple won't turn, let it cool, then heat it and try again.

It would work as a late frontier Indian gun.

I was thinking that, too. In fact here is an original cut-down M1842 with native associations, just to give an idea:

M1842.jpg
I like the simple, tasteful tack-work on this gun, which still has its buttplate. That's worth mentioning because lot of Indian guns had the buttplate removed. Some say this was so the metal could be used in making a hide scraper, others say Indians just didn't like metal buttplates against their bare skin on very cold or hot days. Whatever... I just know some guns with native provenance are missing their buttplates.

We are not supposed to post links to auction sites, but since this gun has already sold, I hope we are "legal" in posting a link. You can read more about this particular gun (and see a photo of the other side) right here, on the InValuable site: Springfield Model 1842 Cut Down Musket

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I am surprised none of the vendors have not tried selling a "pony gun" it could be a cut down musket with modifactions implying use by Plains Indians. Say cut down a gun add some tacks, remove plate, recarve the butt.
See one version here.

Back