• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do? How to fix?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finishing my kibler stock. This blemish is vexing me. How do i seal it or stop it from growing? I've tried to sand it flat, but the edge is growing. Still snags your finger when
20220522_142905.jpg
20220522_142905.jpg
20220522_143300.jpg
you brush across it. It grabs at anything rubbed across it too. Any help appreciated. Thanks again for all and any help.
Stew
20220522_142905.jpg

as Eric says.
sanding without cementing the jag down just releases the natural bond and lets that jag to spring up more.
glue the sucker and then sand to finish. if you are able to get some sanding dust you can blend it with a fill coat of glue, after having bonded the tear back with the underlaying wood. can come out invisible
hope this makes sense. today is monday and my brain usually takes monday's off!.

Thanks all. I didn't notice this until i put the aqua fortis on it and some maple stain and was lightly going over it with steel wool. It snagged it. I'll

Take 2 quilt pins or fine sewing pins and push them under enough to carefully lift the splinter push super glue "under" the splinter. Remove pins wrap heavy rubber bands to hold splinter down until dry. Apply more super glue in the low spot at the tip of the splinter let dry continue to fill until low spot is filled enough to sand smooth. no matter what,you need to get the splinter glued under the splinter to the base wood or the splinter will continue to lift . juts my experience and 2 cents

Uggh. I'm a wood butcher, ill try the CA glue thing first. Im not so sure of myself for slimming the whole wrist. Thanks again for all the.

Colimr has it exactly right ..the only additional thing I would add is at the last fill with CA ..apply the CA and while WET ..sand it to bring in the sand dust as color and fill ..allow and finish sand after dry (use 220 grit while wet)
I know the grit seems coarse but it fills quickly and becomes the perfect "trowel" to smooth the area
I cannot say what the appearance will be since you have stain and finish already applied but used on bare wood this process will absolutely make the area invisible to touch and see

Bear

Here what iv done in past put stain on it then put super glue then rape with painter tape then next day remove tape manure glue down with knife restain put finsh and done

I had a Breach / Tang issue once on a new build 50 cal. Early bucks county when I lifted the barrel almost out of the channel the tang took a piece of the side inlet 1/2 inch slither almost out, I stoped put a drop of super jet under the slither rested it back into place and never took the barrel out again. The problem I was having was the wood around the tang swelled and kinda was pushing the tang up so to speak , the inlet was to tight my bad. But that’s my splinter dilemma. My ex brother in law has that rifle now.LOL 🤭

I'd use super glue! There are generally three viscosities of super glue available, thin, medium and thick. (Hobby Lobby has all three.) For this I'd use the thin, it is as thin as water, so be very careful using it because I have glued my fingers together with it many times. Find a big sewing needle with an eye that will hold about 1 drop of glue, put one drop of glue in the eye while NOT holding the needle over the wood, then touch the eye to the wood to transfer the glue. You might try practicing a few glue drop trials on a wood scrap before proceeding on your stock! Don't try to apply the glue from the spout directly to the wood, you'll get way too much and it will run down the wood causing a big mess. The glue is so thin that it runs into the finest cracks (I've applied it to a small knot on one side of a butt stock and had it run out on the other side), with no need to lift the splinter with small needles to get the glue under there. In small drops it dries in a minute or two, and if desired, the splinter can be held down into place with the eye-end of the needle. Reapply once dry to further fill any remaining void, adding sanding dust if desired. Sand and stain/spot refinish as needed. Good luck, sir!

Back