• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod won't go into the stock when tube is pinned?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Craftsman and craftswoman well above my skill level,
I'm doing my first assembly on a Kibler SMR and I've hit a snag. The ramrod will not go into the stock with the tube pinned in. The ramrod will go through the tube no problem, and it will go in the stock no problem without the tube on the stock. It will also go through the tube and into the stock when I hold or clamp the tube onto the stock, but as soon as I pin the tube to the stock the ramrod will not go through. It feels like it's hitting a wall. I cannot see down into the tube where it meets the stock but from the outside it looks as though I have the tube seated perfectly onto the stock. No wiggling, or gaps, or anything obvious that I can see. Any ideas how to proceed? I've spent a week sanding the ramrod (half of that was just to get it to go down the barrel) and it doesn't feel like it's just catching but rather that it's hitting something cause it stops in a hurry and bends the rod if I'm pushing hard. I'm debating on ordering a new tube from Kibler to start from scratch to see if that helps.

And PS, I've got what looks like a little rust developing on the barrel, prolly moisture from my hands during the assembly, will this be an issue? I have a Birchwood Perma Blue kit that has a Blue and rust remover and plan to use that or Jax Black on the barrel to finish it.

Which thimble? I am assuming the thimble that covers the hole going into the fore-end.... Sometimes if that thimble is inlet too deep it doesn't line up with the ramrod hole. Then you have to adjust the inletting, or if all else fails, grab a coarse rat tail file with a bent handle and adjust the opening of the ramrod hole. Pictures would help...

Put a piece of masking tape over the end of the ramrod, it should clear the entry pipe just fine, and run the ramrod into the obstruction a couple times, you will see the mark on the tape where it is hitting whatever it is hitting. 99-1 the entry pipe is pinned to high (not deep enough in the stock). This will at least get you a clock position on the rod to know if the top is hitting or the bottom or sides etc.

Sanding the ramrod is part of the build process. IF there is a bump in the wood it is tiny. Remove it with a rat tail file? Go slow and make sure where you have interference. Do not remove any wood Willy-Nellie. The stock should be nearly perfect as you got it.

It will also go through the tube and into the stock when I hold or clamp the tube onto the stock, but as soon as I pin the tube to the stock the ramrod will not go through.

You should have had the ramrod in place when you drilled the pin hole. That assures alignment.

That said, Jim Kibler prefers that you call him for build guidance rather than posting on internet chat boards. He will help. He will know the best course of action.

Hi,
Pete G, you ask the obvious questions every time and you often beat me to it. Undertow, did you drill the pin hole for the pipe or was it already drilled? Take the pipe out, put the pin in it and look inside to see if the pin blocks a part of the pipe. If it does, you have a problem. If the pin is not the problem, then it must be the pipe is slightly out of line with the others and all you probably need to do is taper the ramrod. If the pin is the problem, you probably have to fill the current hole in the stock and drill another hole through the stock and pipe.

dave

First make sure your pipes are FULLY inlet. For them to be fully inlet, the ends of the inlets need to be squared up. So if you didn't cut the end of the inlets with a knife or chisel, this is your trouble. We have had a number of customers have the same issue describe and the problem was that the pipes weren't properly seated before pinning.

Jim

The ramrod will not go into the stock with the tube pinned in.
The ramrod will go through the tube no problem,
and it will go in the stock no problem without the tube on the stock.

It is not an inletting issue. It is inletted just right by Kibler, trust me.

IT is not a sanding the rod issue. Sanding the rod was necessary to get the rod to fully enter the ramrod channel, not the junction of the pipe and stock....on the five I assembled. IF you have not thinned the rod to match the metal tip do so. The step will make an misalignment a bigger problem. This rifle is designed to have a tapered rod. It will not work to have a non taperd rod.

IT sounds like a pin hole location issue. You drilled the pin hole yourself? Did you reduce the tab if needed to bottom out in the inlet? Jim provides a little drill and guide, plus a full diameter drill. If you pushed the pipe into the stock with no ramrod present, the pin is probably pulling the pipe in to far. OR, if you did not seat it fully it may be pushed too high by the pin.

Lets figure it out. IT may be vey close to OK. Leave the ramrod full diameter. You still need to trim it? Put some sharpie or dry erase marker on the very end of the rod. Sharpen some of the pin material to a gradual point. Just start the pin in the pipe hole. Try the rod. Did it go with a little bump or resistance? Go easy? Push the pin in deeper. Is it hitting more resistance but still going? Now, take out the rod and pipe. Look at your stock where did the marker transfer? Take a little wood, and only a little from that spot only. If this does not get it, the hole in the pipe tab is way off. Fill and move the hole. IF that is not something you can do get a new pipe form Kibler.

Again, Jim likes people to call him over issues not debate them in chat rooms.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back