• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what so great about Chambers' kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don B

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Chambers' kits repeatedly come up as examples of good, high quality kits. What makes them so good? What sets them, or any other high end supplier, apart from the rabble? Is it the quality of their stock shaping? Or their castings? Or the historical accuracy of their parts? Or...?

Thanks for your comments.

Don

yep. :haha:

I also have found that there is less work involved assembling a Chambers kit than other kits that I have put together.

Maybe, it is because everything that I have seen that had Jim Chambers' name on it was First-Class? :hmm:
(There is a 'hell-of-a-lot of other than first class stuff out there!)

Everything you said and much, much more. First off I wish we'd quit calling them kits. They're parts sets. Order a parts set from Jim Chambers, and you'll talk with Jim or Barbie. Got a problem , and you'll talk with Jim or Barbie to get it resolved. Need advice and you'll talk with one of them. Also you'll be getting a Chambers Siler lock with your kit, not someone elses assembled Siler. That said, Track, Pecatonica, and MBS have good sets, and service, just not quite on the level of Jim Chambers, Don Stith, and our own Chicken man, Mike Brooks.

Bill

Ice is an old fashioned drug free pain killer that works especially well if whiskey is poured over it.--Gracie Allen

There are a few suppliers of parts sets or kits who have long experience in studying originals and building wonderful re-creations themselves, and are widely recognized as artists who faithfully follow the originals. When they put together such a set for sale, they must first please themselves. That is, the sets they provide for the market could be the basis for custom guns they would make and sell for high dollar. The parts are going to be of high quality and be "right" for the style and period. Barrels and locks will be top of the line. And the stock shaping will fit the parts and the timeframe and style of gun.

Generally the BS level will be very low to undetectable (we all like to spin a yarn a little, ya know). These top notch suppliers won't be trying to convince you that this part or lock is "right" when it's not.

I have to agree with Bill of the 45th. Both as to the term "kits" and the medicinal benefits of ice and whiskey.:thumbsup:

I am presently about 15 hours into my "parts set" build and have yet to finish inletting the lock and the barrel to my satisfaction......and they came inlet!! I know I could have finished a "kit" build by now. For some reason my build keeps getting referred to as a kit even though I spent 3 months gathering parts and they didn't even all come from the same company. In all fairness most of my parts came from TOTW and I am very pleased with them, especially their speed of shipping, although the stock with the barrel and lock already inlet is certainly no drop in. There is a lot of wood left to remove. If you are looking for a near drop in stock TOTW is not the way to go. I did get a Jim Chamber's deluxe siler lock and I can tell just by looking at it that it is a high quality part. Since I'm already planning my next build I believe I will have to try one of Jim's "parts sets" myself.

I agree with the comments about the Chambers materials. What I did not see that is a great plus to me is that these are truely nice folks to deal with. No question is not important, too trivial, etc.
Once a Chambers customer, you will again be a Chambers customer. I am very happy with what I have experienced first hand. I have spent several thousand dollars with their company over the years and do not regret a penny I've spent. There are very few things these days I buy I can say that about.

i usally get all my parts at the log cabin in lodi.but,i have seen some of the chambers "parts packages"in thier finished state.and everyone was fantastic no matter who the builder was!!!my next set of complete parts will probably come from chambers.i currently have two of thier locks on two of my longrifles(early lancasters)and they are top knotch.

Don,

Like me, you're probably thinking about "what's next" as far as projects go. Chambers "parts" seem to get A plus in areas that matter most "quality" of the parts themselves. One thing that I have discovered that as the years go by the "hundreds" saved at the time of purchase will long be forgotten and spent elsewhere. What lasts is quality which needs no excuses. Notice that when you talk about Chambers you get no comments like o, I should have saved some money and bought XYZ instead. Also, would I have fewer guns of higher quality or more of lesser quality? Its convinced me.
Sirjohn

It would be an easier project to list what is actually wrong with Chamber's kits. Here is a list of negatives below:

:)

CJ you talk of Lodi in your post...is this Lodi WI? If so I have a Lancaster component set from Chambers,(my next known great adventure) new in the box if you'd like to check one out B4 a purchase. Let me know...

rick, no,lodi,ohio.but i would still like to see what ya got.my 13 yr.old son is building his first lancaster right now.he needs a good set parts for this build.got pics,lets talk.

My digital to computer have been having a stand off at the moment. I will see if the laptop at home will allow me to upload some pics of this for you to check out...
I just had a thought (don't laugh too hard it does happen once and a while) here is a link to Jim's page that shows the parts[url] http://www.flintlocks.com/rifles.htm[/url]
that is about all I could show you via the net.

South of Clevland is some pretty country :)

Any questions about a specific Lancaster piece I might be able to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Young said:
I wish someone would talk Chambers into putting together a Southern rifle "kit"!
Yeah, it surprises me with the popularity of these, why he doesn't :(

Back