• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I left room in the carving/inlay to do so if I ever feel like doing it. The .58 is fun to shoot, and sure stirs up the gongs. Loads up to 180grFF, and it's still resonably comfortable to shot; the benefit of a relatively heavy gun. I also opted for a swamped (Kirby??) barrel so it balances beautifully. (that's the rifle in my profile photo btw.) I managed to hit a life-size Mountain goat target at 300 yds with it after taking a few 'ranging' shots that were spotted for me. (couldn't do it twice in a row though, so probably as much luck as skill). After doing a number of custom rifles, I have decided it is worth the extra$$ to go for the absolute best options you can afford in wood, barrel, and hardware. Have fun with it! I'm glad you have had a good experience with Pecatonica; they seem to be great people, and I never feel shy about reccommending them.
Thanks, I’m thinking .54 cal. May try an inlay if I find my skills have met the challenge!😃

Thanks Martin9, I'll check out Knob Mountain... too bad not all suppliers come up on an internet search!
I did see the Chambers English Gentlemans, and it could be a player too.
Other threads also recommend go with no lock inletting. I'll have to make that operation a priority point of study.
The Track website is difficult to navigate (to me). "Jaeger" in the search window doesn't return the "kit" parts list, not sure how I found it in the first place 🤔, but it doesn't show a stock on the list, so that will be a question for them.
' Short 'rifle barrels at 30+'' ? .28 "seems more original lengths &
No, but I left room in the carving/inlay to do so if I ever feel like doing it. The .58 is fun to shoot, and sure stirs up the gongs. Loads up to 180grFF, and it's still resonably comfortable to shot; the benefit of a relatively heavy gun. I also opted for a swamped (Kirby??) barrel so it balances beautifully. (that's the rifle in my profile photo btw.) I managed to hit a life-size Mountain goat target at 300 yds with it after taking a few 'ranging' shots that were spotted for me. (couldn't do it twice in a row though, so probably as much luck as skill). After doing a number of custom rifles, I have decided it is worth the extra$$ to go for the absolute best options you can afford in wood, barrel, and hardware. Have fun with it! I'm glad you have had a good experience with Pecatonica; they seem to be great people, and I never feel shy about reccommending them.

26" is fine at least to save weight in a hunting rifle, 180 grains! Even Express rifles. didn't use that much powder .On Pecatonica yes I can heartily agree . Rudyard

IMG_3416.jpeg
Here’s my TOTW .62 Jaeger kit built rifle. I love it but in hindsight I wish I had bought the Edward Marshal rifle.

Greetings,
Fairly new here but have been researching and reading the various threads on building. A constant throughout is the recommendation to go with Kibler as first attempt. Although I've never built a ML, I do have some experience building a certain semi-unmentionable (it does shoot BP!) :)
So far I have two ML rifles, both percussion - a T/C Hawken and a fine Lyman GPR that I got from @frankie from the forum here (thanks @frankie !! great rifle and spare barrel). But being the tinkerer/do things with hands kind of person, I can see why everyone (well, most everyone) sooner or later wants to dive in and make one on their own.
I may be somewhat a heretic for not being overly fond of the long rifles, hence my attraction to the Jaeger style guns. And, I haven't totally decided to go with the flintlock ignition as yet.
So, I hope this isn't the typical "first build" post since I'm really kinda' narrow-focused.
I've basically found 3 "kit" sources for a Jaeger - TOW has a kit, as does R. E. Davis Co and Pecatonica (Jaeger and Transitional Kentucky), all with various options for caliber and barrel shapes and lengths <40 inches. Also, Jim Chambers has the Edward Martin that could be a player. Since Mr. Kibler doesn't offer a Jaeger, I won't be able to take advantage of the refinements in parts and simplification of the assembly process afforded by his reputable kits.
Now the questions/comments (I'll be calling all these vendors myself, but I always look to others who have first hand experience):
  • Anyone know where TOW gets the Jaeger stocks? They list Rice and Colerain barrels as options and the Rice website shows a 31" Jaeger (TOW) and 32" (Chambers, although I don't see a Jaeger on Chambers page. Maybe they offered one in the past.)
  • The Pecatonica website shows shortest Green Mountain swamped oct at 38" but also lists Colerain swamped Jaeger at 31". I saw where Mr. Chambers has also brought up Buckeye Barrels LLC to source that part of the kit from the major barrel makers separately.
  • I have emailed (at least a week ago) some of these question to a couple of the vendors mentioned, but they haven't responded.
  • Comments on level of difficulty between the vendors mentioned?
I've looked at all the specifications and measurements on the respective websites and gathered the info, but beyond that it's just a bunch of numbers. So, if anyone would care to offer your experience with any of these vendors or comment on the rifles you've built using their kits I'd like to hear what you have to say. I've watched Jim K's videos and it sure would be nice to start that way, but... I do have some good chisels and basic tools and materials, but I'm sure there are some jigs and tricks that would be nice to pick up. I've probably left something out, but thanks in advance.

v/r, Joe B
I’ve gotten a notion I’d like to build a Jaeger. I’d like to have a barrel somewhere in the 38 to 40 inch range .62 caliber. I’d go with a Rice barrel swamped. Still researching and pondering

Greetings,
Fairly new here but have been researching and reading the various threads on building. A constant throughout is the recommendation to go with Kibler as first attempt. Although I've never built a ML, I do have some experience building a certain semi-unmentionable (it does shoot BP!) :)
So far I have two ML rifles, both percussion - a T/C Hawken and a fine Lyman GPR that I got from @frankie from the forum here (thanks @frankie !! great rifle and spare barrel). But being the tinkerer/do things with hands kind of person, I can see why everyone (well, most everyone) sooner or later wants to dive in and make one on their own.
I may be somewhat a heretic for not being overly fond of the long rifles, hence my attraction to the Jaeger style guns. And, I haven't totally decided to go with the flintlock ignition as yet.
So, I hope this isn't the typical "first build" post since I'm really kinda' narrow-focused.
I've basically found 3 "kit" sources for a Jaeger - TOW has a kit, as does R. E. Davis Co and Pecatonica (Jaeger and Transitional Kentucky), all with various options for caliber and barrel shapes and lengths <40 inches. Also, Jim Chambers has the Edward Martin that could be a player. Since Mr. Kibler doesn't offer a Jaeger, I won't be able to take advantage of the refinements in parts and simplification of the assembly process afforded by his reputable kits.
Now the questions/comments (I'll be calling all these vendors myself, but I always look to others who have first hand experience):
  • Anyone know where TOW gets the Jaeger stocks? They list Rice and Colerain barrels as options and the Rice website shows a 31" Jaeger (TOW) and 32" (Chambers, although I don't see a Jaeger on Chambers page. Maybe they offered one in the past.)
  • The Pecatonica website shows shortest Green Mountain swamped oct at 38" but also lists Colerain swamped Jaeger at 31". I saw where Mr. Chambers has also brought up Buckeye Barrels LLC to source that part of the kit from the major barrel makers separately.
  • I have emailed (at least a week ago) some of these question to a couple of the vendors mentioned, but they haven't responded.
  • Comments on level of difficulty between the vendors mentioned?
I've looked at all the specifications and measurements on the respective websites and gathered the info, but beyond that it's just a bunch of numbers. So, if anyone would care to offer your experience with any of these vendors or comment on the rifles you've built using their kits I'd like to hear what you have to say. I've watched Jim K's videos and it sure would be nice to start that way, but... I do have some good chisels and basic tools and materials, but I'm sure there are some jigs and tricks that would be nice to pick up. I've probably left something out, but thanks in advance.

v/r, Joe B
Check out Jedediah Star

Check out Jedediah Star
Jagers are more likely 28" plus / minus " barrels . English rifles not normally long I made one Taper round 50 cal weights 5 pounds 26" brl but govt ones might go 6 to 9 pounds .or more. Glad ime not a squaddie !Ime knocking up a 1791 carne after ones supplied by Ketland & co is 21": oct 20 bore heavy sod but its what they where
Regards Rudyard

I’m I’ve gotten a notion I’d like to build a Jaeger. I’d like to have a barrel somewhere in the 38 to 40 inch range .62 caliber. I’d go with a Rice barrel swamped. Still researching and pondering
I have handled and fired a half dozen or so original large bore (60 cal +/-) original Jaegers, all with short barrels (25”-32” range). This was in Germany and Austria. Love these guns and I am a big fan of short barreled large bore muzzleloaders. Not sure about a 40” barrel on a Jaeger. Don’t have Shumway’s book on Jaeger Rifles (or should I say collected articles) in front of me, but a remember most of the original Jaegers that he wrote about having barrel lengths between 22” and 30” or so (it’s been a while so I would have to confirm) with only few outliers getting closer to 40”. The other published references I have seem to have most original barrels no more than 30” or so long at most.

One other observation, all the originals I handled and shot, were for the lack of description, dainty and elegant, not the heavyweight war clubs that most US made contemporary examples seem to be. Doubt any of the originals weighed in more than 7 pounds even. Might just be my limited sampling.

I have handled and fired a half dozen or so original large bore (60 cal +/-) original Jaegers, all with short barrels (25”-32” range). This was in Germany and Austria. Love these guns and I am a big fan of short barreled large bore muzzleloaders. Not sure about a 40” barrel on a Jaeger. Don’t have Shumway’s book on Jaeger Rifles (or should I say collected articles) in front of me, but a remember most of the original Jaegers that he wrote about having barrel lengths between 22” and 30” or so (it’s been a while so I would have to confirm) with only few outliers getting closer to 40”. The other published references I have seem to have most original barrels no more than 30” or so long at most.

One other observation, all the originals I handled and shot, were for the lack of description, dainty and elegant, not the heavyweight war clubs that most US made contemporary examples seem to be. Doubt any of the originals weighed in more than 7 pounds even. Might just be my limited sampling.
Very good recollecting I think much depends on the date large bore but overall light overall late flint & made caplocks ive two here needing work .& Ime familiar with the 1799 pre Baker Prince Eugene's 1,012 German rifles paid for by British Ordnance they are very like the oft photoed' Pistor' rifle held at West Point only they all had bayonets some being 5 or so being held in the Royal Armouries at Leeds which I examined to record the number engraved up by the bayonet bar. My own is 147point being its a heavy 62 cal affair I wouldn't want to be lugging about its barrel being 28'' and a heavy oct with a pitch of 1 in 28" I have made long rifles but caried only one finding it too heavy & awkward to take into the bush 'not that Ide lug the old Jager very far preferring my little 26" brl 50 cal English provincial flint rife of 5 pounds weight . All interesting stuff .
Regards Rudyard

Here’s my TOTW .62 Jaeger kit built rifle. I love it but in hindsight I wish I had bought the Edward Marshal rifle.
Curious why you'd prefer the EM? Longer barrel, better balance?? I've been toying with that one also. Lately I've been considering The Rifle Shoppe as a source. They are close to my friend whom I built '77 Sharps repros for a time. I could visit them next time I go to OK. Gonna' assemble one of their locks from a set I'm getting from forum member @lou puleff. We'll see how that goes!

I’ve gotten a notion I’d like to build a Jaeger. I’d like to have a barrel somewhere in the 38 to 40 inch range .62 caliber. I’d go with a Rice barrel swamped. Still researching and pondering

View attachment 291412Here’s my TOTW .62 Jaeger kit built rifle. I love it but in hindsight I wish I had bought the Edward Marshal rifle.
That's a good-lookin' rifle, outfit.....the works.

That one Is actually one I made for a friend; it's a .54, and unadroned. This is a shot of my .58; a bit fancier, also walnut stocked and from Pecatonica. I have made seveal guns from their parts, and never been disappointed with what was supplied. You ncan order whatever level of inletting you want; mine are usually '90%' inlet; all the major holes are in the right places; but you have to do the final fitting yourself (90% of the work), because nothing will drop into the factory inletting. You also get to do the final shaping to fit your personal taste.I could probably start with a 2x6 and make stocks from scratch, but the risk of screwing up a $200 piece of wood and taking all that time isn't worth the small amount of added satisfaction. Have fun; the secret is to take your time, and only work on it when you want to; not because you have some imaginary timetablt to meet. Some of my builds have taken 2 weeks, others 6 months.
very nice

Check out Jedediah Star
As I replied earlier, those “kits” are 1” straight barrel. I was thinking, if one was inclined could a swamped barrel be used instead, i.e. is there enough material on breech/muzzle ends to inlet the barrel? I’ve never handled a swamped barrel before, only seen the dimensional diagrams on Colerain etc sites. I should contact J Star to see if they sell the stock without barrel or lock inletting done and no barrel…

I just purchased two drawings, one a German Jaeger the other the Hessian Jaeger from Track. One uses a short barrel the other a 38 inch(i think) . Are either of these drawings from original guns ?? I am starting with a gun show old unused barrel . I want something representative of the originals not needing to be exact.

Back