• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bench testing a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Much has been said about the "poor" quality of Indian built locks and the extensive repairs requiring them to be brought up to quality standards. I have a pistol I am going thru. TRS has a comparable kit at roughly 3 times the price (kit vs assembled India gun). After dressing and hardening the frizzen the lock "worked" but would crush a flint. 20 shots were great but after about another 10 the flint was about gone.
IMG_2023-11-28-11-50-39-215.jpg

For many this is good, put a flint in go 10-20 shots take it home clean it and new flint. I wanted better so I started tuning, time was under an hour. After tuning I checked location of sparks.
IMG_8482.JPG

Mounting in the vise I once again ran a test of 20 shots to see reliability without cleaning. Simply ignite prime repeat. Only a single misfire but was able to fire by recocking and closing the frizzen.

Continuing on for fun, without touching or cleaning she plowed on thru to 50 shots, no problems. However recocking on #53 the leather had got hard enough to loosen up on the flint.
IMG_2023-11-28-14-14-17-092.jpg

I put the flint back in without cleaning or knapping. As the leather continued to be an issue and I had to retighten a few times. End result 8 misfires due to leather not holding the flint well. 100 shots fired without having to reprime, wipe/clean frizzen, dust/wisk pan, or knap/clean flint.
IMG_2023-11-28-14-29-15-882.jpg

IMG_2023-11-28-14-15-16-632.jpg

I may have stopped at 100 but there is no sign that even dirty like this it will continue to fire.
Overall labor may run half the price of the gun or more but even at that it's considerably cheaper than anything comparable.

If it takes so little time to fix, why do you suppose the indians let those locks out of the shop working so poorly? It really gives Indian guns an awful reputation.
And THAT is the Bollywood prize winning million dollar question Mike!

If they just spent less time polishing them and a little bit more time fine tuning the springs and lock, well … at least they would be better.

What did you do to tune the lock?
On this one it was tweaking springs, and adjusting the geometry of the Dr zzen toe and cock. Some are bad some need next to nothing.
If it takes so little time to fix, why do you suppose the indians let those locks out of the shop working so poorly? It really gives Indian guns an awful reputation.
Ignorance they are copying the pattern and have most likely never seen one operate. In all honesty considering this they may be considered good.
What is that flint? Looks strange to me.
I have bags of unusual flints. They are "ugly" yet spark amazing well. With the variety as it is I can't begin to guess what each rock type is.
IMG_2023-11-28-18-04-31-877.jpg

Above is just what the question is, If the bottom line your metallurgy was up to an industry standard then why after the end line consumers (American.s) would have to put so much into what was already produced. Why? Because it,s sub standard manure.. yes do they look like most of the historical Pistol,s we would like to own but what good is it? When it,s manure you have to spend hours on it. A Pedersoli not so much in spite of the higher price tag. But pedersoli does not have a so much correct depiction of period correct Arms. but at least for some it,s not unachievable...

Above is just what the question is, If the bottom line your metallurgy was up to an industry standard then why after the end line consumers (American.s) would have to put so much into what was already produced. Why? Because it,s sub standard manure.. yes do they look like most of the historical Pistol,s we would like to own but what good is it? When it,s manure you have to spend hours on it. A Pedersoli not so much in spite of the higher price tag. But pedersoli does not have a so much correct depiction of period correct Arms. but at least for some it,s not unachievable...
Making it "work" simply hardening the frizzen. Making it work good (I consider 100+ shots with near trouble free ignition on a filthy lock) less than an hour doesn't seem like the disaster you imply.

My conclusion at this point is that your distaste for this lock is cosmetics as the function is doing exactly what it should. My assumption is that if the other locks don't perform better I will be accused of skewing results. As you say 101, 102 might get you I will replace the leather retaining the same flint without knapping or cleaning and see when it wears out. Never mind I just checked and my son cleaned the residue so it will continue clean but with the still un knapped flint

No not at all. I just distrust un-certified indian produced product but you get what you pay for. goods ..as they are not up to the standards of European or even American Standards..it sucks to pay higher for Italian or hand crafted American built goods. but that the way it is.. they are proofed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back