• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What next to hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, they're gonna be hiding for a while till it gets warm. Oh well, got 1 more week of tree rats, and winter 3-D archery league for about a month.

Josh

bigbore442001 said:
I have always contemplated that special Febuary hunt. Have you gone on it before? If so, how was the hunting? Did you get any deer? Thanks

Bigbore, I haven't been up and hunted the NW in about 6yrs., but have killed a couple deer up in Robert Brent when it was a regular WMA.
I killed this hog today in Greenswamp East WMA. Killed it with my Virgina 20ga. and no. 5 lead shot. Should eat good..weighed 122lbs.

j14.jpg

j6.jpg

ATTABOY hoyt! congrats! glad somebody puttin food on the table...i's jes puttin wood in the fire...brrrrrrrrrr! congrats again! RC

Congrats to the hog. What is a no. 5 lead shot? Kind of RB or more buckshots?

How about testing the meat if there are trichins in it? Is this usual in the US?

Kirrmeister said:
Congrats to the hog. What is a no. 5 lead shot? Kind of RB or more buckshots?

How about testing the meat if there are trichins in it? Is this usual in the US?

No. 5 shot what I call birdshot..I was hunting ducks that morning and they didn't come in so decided to see if I could find a squirrel. I was slipping through the woods and eased up on a group of hogs in tall grass. The only reason I shot the hog with no. 5's is it was only at most a yard or so from me. I knew the birdshot would hit behind her ear like a slug and it did..she never moved out of her tracks.
I think all hogs have the trichina worm..just have to make sure you kill them (the worms) and cook the pork done to keep from getting Trichinosis.

Me and my beagle Dolly will be chasing bunnys until the last of March. Here's one we got today with the 20ga flintlock smoothbore, 70gr's 2FF, 60gr's #6shot

Ron_Doll_rabbit.JPG

So in GE every hog, muscle meat pieces of them, have to be brought to the meat watcher who is testing if there are trichins in it. If so, you are not allowed to eat the hog, if not, you can eat or sell it. The expirience is in counterpart to your expirience that most hogs have no trichins at all.

Kirrmeister:

The care of game meat in the US is up to the individual hunter. When you shoot an animal, it is all yours. The head, hide, any antlers, trophy parts, internals,meat and bones are all yours. There is no meat inspection,per se, in most states. The only checking that is done is when you take the tag that comes with your hunting license and brought to a check station. A person will take the tag and record your name, license number, the weight of the animal, sex of the animal, in some cases; what it was shot with( we have separate seasons for bow, muzzleloader, modern firearm) and then once that is recorded a metal seal is usually placed on the animal. Usually through the foreleg.

In many places, there are meat cutters and butchers who will cut and package all the meat from your game. I have used them in the past but then figured out that if the American Indians could butcher game, so could I.

I personally do all my own. If I get a deer( or wild boar if I go hunt out of state) I hang it up on a gambrel and skin out the animal myself.Then with thin bladed boning knives, I take all the meat off the bones.

When it comes to pork or bear meat, the standard rule of thumb is to cook it thoroughly. I believe the meat should be cooked for 15-20 minutes at 160 F . My fiance, who is a cook for a nursing home, is more familiar with the time and temperatures.

I hope this information helps .

We haven't had a reported case of Trichinosis here in the States since the 1930s, mainly because of our public health regulations, and meat inspections. When the hog farmers found out that the packers would not buy the hogs unless they had been inspected, inoculations against the parasite became common enough that the disease is all but wiped out in this country. Obviously, the standards for meat are different in Germany than here. I suspect that is a result of many poor Eastern European countries, that have not yet been able to educate their farmers, and upgrade livestock regulations to deal with these issues. Since most products are still consumed by the family raising the hogs, Its hard to find any elected official who wants to irritate voters by requiring they adopt certain expensive measures to protect themselves from their own ignorance. Our laws ont he subject were passed during the Great Depression in the 1930s, when the government was paying hog farmers to NOT Produce more pigs, while encourage the public to buy pork because it was safe to eat.

Kirrmeister said:
So in GE every hog, muscle meat pieces of them, have to be brought to the meat watcher who is testing if there are trichins in it. If so, you are not allowed to eat the hog, if not, you can eat or sell it. The expirience is in counterpart to your expirience that most hogs have no trichins at all.

You are probably right about most hogs not having the worm..I just have always had it in my head you have to cut pork and bear done to kill the worms.
Hogs have some other kind of disease that will kill one dead as a door knob...but can't think right off what it is. All the check station's cleaning areas have signs posted warning about it and have rubber glues they will give you to do the butchering.

Thanks for the info. In GE it is the same. Only guests of the state hunting grounds must give the game to the state. Normally all the game gets to the hunter. He has to take care that the game is not ill. The meat watch is only ruled for hogs and badger. German hunters also butcher their meat on their own.

It has been a billion years since I took parasitology, but I have some recollection that a part of the lifecycle of the trichina worm must take place in the soil. Pigs raised on cement would therefore get an extra aid in not developing the disease, if true. Good smoke (and good barbecue) Ron in FL

10 days and counting till its bacon makin time down in Texas for me and my SFBM! I can't wait!!!!! Ain't gonna miss the cold weather either.

Billy

Back