• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut the Kibler shipping box in half to start making a inexpensive case for the SMR
1000027101.jpg

I finally started working on an Underhammer kit that I bought twenty some years ago & never had time to work on. Yesterday I marked out & started shaping the forend. I hope to get this gun finished & take it to the range here in Florida before I head home to Pennsylvania in the spring. Maybe I'll be able to do some squirrel hunting with it next fall. It's a .36 caliber.

I finally started working on an Underhammer kit that I bought twenty some years ago & never had time to work on. Yesterday I marked out & started shaping the forend. I hope to get this gun finished & take it to the range here in Florida before I head home to Pennsylvania in the spring. Maybe I'll be able to do some squirrel hunting with it next fall. It's a .36 caliber.
sounds like u going be busy. hope it goes well for you.maybe u can post some pics later on.

Gotta have some pictures of this project!.

Decided to try cleaning up the barrel to my first ML. It's a .45 cal. Euroarms Kentuckian. Killed my first bear with that gun 49 years ago. The barrel is missing the drum and had been left in a barn for years. Last week the bore scope painted a grim picture of the interior. The breach plug came out easily and the cleaning/derusting began. Hours later and things looked better than I had hoped. The worst pits are in the breach and shouldn't be a problem. Considering how well the barrel came out I fixed a crack in the stock and plan to do a full rehab on the old girl.
Pics are the pits in the breach area, just in front of the breach plug. I worked on them a bit more after the pics.

Attachments

• WIN_20240217_14_43_45_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240217_14_43_45_Pro.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20240217_14_51_18_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240217_14_51_18_Pro.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20240217_14_51_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240217_14_51_24_Pro.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
I think that’s going to clean up fine @DCAN. The old rifle wants the be shot just as bad as you want to shoot it.
I'm trying to decide just how deep to dive on this one. Some of the brass wasn't well inlet and I'm thinking of fixing the problem the factory "solved" with some type of red bedding compound so long ago. The barrel exterior is a bit rough and would look much better browned. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Forged a wrapped hatched out of wrought iron! Trying to decide on a hickory or Osage handle!

Attachments

• IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5945.jpeg
    IMG_5945.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
  • IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
  • IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5957.jpeg
    IMG_5957.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The last 24 hours have been busy for me. First, I decided to get started on my Colonial....the tang and breech mortise/inletting is trimmed, cleaned and the barrel drops in to the stock pretty well with no gaps.

Then, in running around with my not-so-little, I picked up some aniline dyes and pure tung oil so I can (hopefully) do some work on the test scraps that were in my box and figure out if I can make the stock look how I'm hunkerin' to.

During this long weekend, I'll likely start trying to take the sprues off of the buttplate too.

Had a fantastic day with the Yadkin Valley Longrifles at our monthly shoot yesterday. We had about 18 shooters, several first-time guests. I have shot better, but cant say that I have had many more enjoyable days than this one!
At the end of the rifle match, several guys did a follow-up pistol shoot. My good buddy Charles was on fire with that .45 flintlock! Highest score I would say. I didn't do too badly with my .50 smoothbore flintlock as well.
A great day with good folk.

Attachments

• Charles and Bob.jpg
    Charles and Bob.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Yesterday went to the club shoot held on the second Saturday of the month. Took my little used 3 band Enfield and shot prb's in it. At 50 yards it held black for me it I did my part. It did not like minie balls at all. Also took my 62-20 smoothbore flinter and shot it several times with prb's too. It shot better than the Enfield. First time at the range for either of these two guns and I was pretty much happy with how they both did. I'm starting to feel strong enough to make the range trips more often, hope it keeps getting better.

Spent the morning welding an un-needed notch a previous owner filed into the pan on my jukar flintlock and then using the dremmel and various grades of sand paper, I slightly reshaped and polished the pan to a nice shine. Reshaping the pan also helped center up my touch hole. Before and after pictures. Next, when the parts arrive, is to change out the tumbler to one that will accept a bridle and add the bridle. A little work but is a lot cheaper than the the L and R drop in replacement lock.
Very nice job

Back