• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast a few round balls this afternoon, had big plans for a few more calibers but, my ambition subsided. Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_3987[1].JPG
    IMG_3987[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3988[1].JPG
    IMG_3988[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Finished up Horn #53. I think it came out pretty nice. Although flat, these usually have some twist to them. This one will wear on the right.
I am on the fence about letting it go...
Finished up Horn #53. I think it came out pretty nice. Although flat, these usually have some twist to them. This one will wear on the right.
I am on the fence about letting it go...
Wow, Pathfinder you have a great talent there my friend. The flat horn has always been a favorite of mine. Easy to carry and pour from. This one is easy to like too. Best new horn work l have seen in 20 years.

Second attempt at making a brass cap for the patch box lid. Formed a new brass cap and glued it to the lid with contact cement. Put it in my rotating vise so I could orient it straight up and down and this time the holes were perpendicular to the brass and screws snugged down nicely.

Started filing the brass to fit the buttplate and discovered I didn’t leave enough at the bottom of the lid and it left an unacceptable gap at the bottom edge. It snaps into place securely but I don’t like how it looks so I’m going to remove the brass plate and make #3 and hope the third time is a charm! Once I get the edges fitted I will work on contouring the top of the plate to match the lid.

View attachment 290243View attachment 290244
Attempt #3 at making a brass plate for my WoodsRunner patch box lid went much better. I made a new plate and bent it to shape by putting it in a vise with a 1” dowel and hammered it over until it fit the curve of the patch box.
IMG_1785.jpegIMG_1786.jpeg

I took the old brass plate and used it to mark the screw holes and attached plate #3 to the lid, then spent 2.5 hours filing it down to conform to the lid shape.

IMG_1787.jpegIMG_1788.jpeg
Everything fits pretty well and now I will start polishing butt plate and lid plate and blue the screw heads.

Got this in the mail yesterday. Broke it down and cleaned the packing grease off of it, gave it a coat of Ballistol and wiped it down again.
This is my firs C&B revolver and I'm excited to get it to the range.
My next project is the grips. I like wood, but don't like the shiny finish, so I'm going to strip the finish and just go with one coat of stain followed by a few coats of tung oil.

Mg0iM2r.jpg

Got this in the mail yesterday. Broke it down and cleaned the packing grease off of it, gave it a coat of Ballistol and wiped it down again.
This is my firs C&B revolver and I'm excited to get it to the range.
My next project is the grips. I like wood, but don't like the shiny finish, so I'm going to strip the finish and just go with one coat of stain followed by a few coats of tung oil.

Mg0iM2r.jpg
I have two projects on the go a powder horn refinish and a gun stock ,got the sand paper steel wool stain and shellac working .

I haven't been to a rendezvous in years. I saw on the forum that there is going to be one close to me the end of May.
I told my wife that I was thinking about going and she ask me what I was going to wear. I told her my buckskin pants. She just laughed.
So to prove it to her, I went and pulled them out of storage. I now think I know how Dolly Parton feels when she gets dressed. I could hardly get them pulled on and no way were they going to button.
I think I gained a few inches over the last 30 years.
I guess it is time to make a new pair of pants.

Finished sawing the 1/2” 516-70 plate yesterday and here is where I picked up today after gluing a drawing of my design on the steel. Today has been spent filing. Nearly done with that little square hole which will be 8mm when finished.
Next step is making a hammer screw. I no longer have a lathe but will have to make one by hand. One easy solution would be to modify a #10-24 carbon steel thumbscrew. I could load the threads into a drill and “machine it” to the proper size with a file. Anyone else with ideas for a quick and dirty solution? I don’t want to cut down some bad stock and thread it.

Attachments

• IMG_2101.jpeg
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2100.jpeg
    IMG_2100.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have two projects on the go a powder horn refinish and a gun stock ,got the sand paper steel wool stain and shellac working .
Well I got done and this time I didn’t rub off all the ageing with to much wax like last time but time and use we’ll take care of it me thinks.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Raining cats and dogs, punched out a couple hundred caps, I’ll fill them on the morrow.

Gonna snow or rain or something tomorrow (says the weather bureau ;)) I have a bunch of caps punched out that I need to fill. Kinda tedious but gotta be done.

Latest posts

Back