• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday, using Barricade, I wiped the bores of several muzzleloading rifles I have stored. I've got a whole lot of catch up shooting to do with a few of them.

I'm going to start with a couple of .36 T/C Senecas and a .32 T/C Cherokee. There's also a GRRW Little Leman .45 I need to reacquaint myself with.

Waiting for drier weather.

I got the tang inlet today, I'm not sure I was setting myself up for success with a lollipop for my second ever tang inlet, but I learned a few things that should make the next one easier and hopefully a little better.
IMG_5728.jpg

Not today but yesterday. Had a 6-point walk about 25 yards or less in front of me and it spooked before I could get the Woodsrunner up.
So today, I loaded the CVA in case of a longer shot, and then got an upset stomach. (sigh).
Anyway, it's not so much the need to down a deer, but just to have the experience out there in nature with the squirrels and birds making me think that all the deer in the world are running behind my blind.

The Doc is downing Tums now. 🤢

Cut and installed barrel lugs and the front sight on a round .62 British Fusil barrel.
Looks good Bob. Just curious for my own education why dove tail a round bbl that's already very thin instead of just soldering the lugs on the outside surface? Also do you solder them into the dove tail? Not a loaded question. I've done just one Fowler with a round bbl and want to know about this technique.

Looks good Bob. Just curious for my own education why dove tail a round bbl that's already very thin instead of just soldering the lugs on the outside surface? Also do you solder them into the dove tail? Not a loaded question. I've done just one Fowler with a round bbl and want to know about this technique.
Good question. The barrel is round but thick. The dovetail notch is almost 1/16" deep and it will get reinforcing solder as well.
I was trying to recall @dave_person 's tutorial on this technique Soldering barrel lugs and sight, success!
A friend shoots period Civil War rifled muskets (the barrel walls similar in size) and these have dovetailed sights as well, so it's a thing.

Last edited:
Good question. The barrel is round but thick. The dovetail notch is almost 1/16" deep and it will get reinforcing solder as well.
I was somewhat following @dave_person 's tutorial on this technique Soldering barrel lugs and sight, success!
A friend shoots period Civil War rifled muskets (the barrel walls similar in size) and these have dovetailed sights as well, so it's a thing.
Thanks! Appreciate the details.

Had to add a "post script" to yesterday's post. I took the same young lady out again this afternoon... after filling a doe tag yesterday and jumping several bucks in the process. Just before dark we spotted a nice 4x4 buck feeding with some does ..upwind at about 150yds. This was one of the bucks we had spooked while shooting the doe the day before. Before we could get into a closer shooting situation he wandered off to our right heading toward the river and a lot of brush. We scurried off to try to intercept him. I eventually spotted him feeding at about 90yds in this brushy/timbered bottom, but we could not see him from sitting position. We moved closer when he moved behind cover. Eventually, he popped out of the heavy stuff crossing toward the river to our right, but walking through tall grass, only his head/neck and bit of his back showing as he walked by at 75yds. I asked her if she could hit it offhand and told her to hold a little low based on where the gun was sighted. I nelt and gave her my shoulder to lean the barrel across. At the 'crack" the buck folded up like 2 dollar bill, with a ball through the neck bone. Dead in his tracks. Not sure that was where she intended to hit him to be honest, but lots of congrats her way on a fine shot made....this was only her second shot taken with a muzzleloader..after killing the doe yesterday.

Had to add a "post script" to yesterday's post. I took the same young lady out again this afternoon... after filling a doe tag yesterday and jumping several bucks in the process. Just before dark we spotted a nice 4x4 buck feeding with some does ..upwind at about 150yds. This was one of the bucks we had spooked while shooting the doe the day before. Before we could get into a closer shooting situation he wandered off to our right heading toward the river and a lot of brush. We scurried off to try to intercept him. I eventually spotted him feeding at about 90yds in this brushy/timbered bottom, but we could not see him from sitting position. We moved closer when he moved behind cover. Eventually, he popped out of the heavy stuff crossing toward the river to our right, but walking through tall grass, only his head/neck and bit of his back showing as he walked by at 75yds. I asked her if she could hit it offhand and told her to hold a little low based on where the gun was sighted. I nelt and gave her my shoulder to lean the barrel across. At the 'crack" the buck folded up like 2 dollar bill, with a ball through the neck bone. Dead in his tracks. Not sure that was where she intended to hit him to be honest, but lots of congrats her way on a fine shot made....this was only her second shot taken with a muzzleloader..after killing the doe yesterday.
I do favor a nice neck shot when possible.

Stuck a taller sight on my Traditions Kentucky and filed it down, I think my elevation issue is resolved... But I dry balled for the first time before I could verify with a few follow-up shots. Going to brave the cold in the morning and get it locked down! What is everyone's favorite method to ensure the sight doesn't slide sideways in the dovetail?
1000008077.jpg

I got the tang inlet today, I'm not sure I was setting myself up for success with a lollipop for my second ever tang inlet, but I learned a few things that should make the next one easier and hopefully a little better.
View attachment 275631
View attachment 275631
30BCEF94-0D8F-47BB-A7AC-6F1E09E671ED.jpeg

I did the same thing on my.36 when I built it. It was my second build. Definitely learned from it as I didn’t get it exact. Still bothers me but oh well. I have since gotten grime and wax and such in it and I can barely tell now. And it reminds me when I am building and get frustrated to just walk away and do something else and clear up my mind. I remember I was not in a great mood when I was doing that inletting and the work showed it.

Showed my beautiful girlfriend how to clean her rifle again. It’s her second time. She has it down but just had some questions is all. I gave her my mothers old rifle. Mom used to shoot alot of competitions with it in 90’s. She was an absolute dead eye with it. It’s just one of those guns that fit a woman extremely well as it’s very well balanced and pretty light. My GF is no exception! She’s only shot it 4 times now but holy cow! Her third time shooting it, (or any muzzleloading rifle), was a few weeks ago at a match in a little town about 30 miles away. She won 2 of the six matches shooting against guys that have been doing this since the 70’s. Definitely outshot me too. One of my friends she outshot was in the movie Mountain Men! They were all good sports about it as they should be. I was so proud of her. She won two pounds of goex and 200 cci caps. Great prizes. Great time!! Oh her new to her rifle is kinda an oddball. It’s from 90-91 cannot remember exactly when mom got it. It’s a CVA Kentucky Hunter. 1:66 twist. Around 33 inch Really sleek light.50. I put new sights on it way back when for mom. The German silver beaver front sight works well on it and makes them smile!
78DC0DE5-847A-4D0E-BE28-7E49FED19E09.jpeg
E21AF6ED-8703-435D-A9A1-0C90FBCF2900.jpeg
DF694B5B-7FCC-4D30-8C6B-DAADAA2FA79E.jpeg
B69F4547-DCE9-4AA4-B0B2-71842F532620.jpeg
03777C7A-5CBA-4AA0-B0F1-728996FCA7B8.jpeg
6BAA8A89-3878-4F76-BEC9-6F96168608D2.jpeg

Showed my beautiful girlfriend how to clean her rifle again. It’s her second time. She has it down but just had some questions is all. I gave her my mothers old rifle. Mom used to shoot alot of competitions with it in 90’s. She was an absolute dead eye with it. It’s just one of those guns that fit a woman extremely well as it’s very well balanced and pretty light. My GF is no exception! She’s only shot it 4 times now but holy cow! Her third time shooting it, (or any muzzleloading rifle), was a few weeks ago at a match in a little town about 30 miles away. She won 2 of the six matches shooting against guys that have been doing this since the 70’s. Definitely outshot me too. One of my friends she outshot was in the movie Mountain Men! They were all good sports about it as they should be. I was so proud of her. She won two pounds of goex and 200 cci caps. Great prizes. Great time!! Oh her new to her rifle is kinda an oddball. It’s from 90-91 cannot remember exactly when mom got it. It’s a CVA Kentucky Hunter. 1:66 twist. Around 33 inch Really sleek light.50. I put new sights on it way back when for mom. The German silver beaver front sight works well on it and makes them smile!View attachment 275693View attachment 275694View attachment 275695View attachment 275696View attachment 275697View attachment 275698
I can hear it now Honey would you show me how to clean it one more time please please please? 🤣😂😆😁😄😃😀🙂

Back