• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was an amazingly warm mid November day in Ohio. Mid 60's, sunny, blue sky and little wind. It was a great day to start shooting the used .54 Pedersoli flint frontier rifle in bought several months earlier. I didn't realize the breech area was badly caked with rust. No air would pass through to the touchhole. After an hour of brush scrubbing, cleaning patch scrubbing and lots of elbow grease, everything was clear and ready to shoot. 70 grains of 2F, .017 pillow ticking patch and .520 round ball I got the rifle dialed in. I dislike the crappy buckhorn sights supplied with their rifles, so I bought the taller rear sight from the Log Cabin Shop, filed a deeper and wider notch so I could more clearly see the front sight. I'm about an inch high at 25 yards which means at 50 to 60 yards I should be at zero. My older eyes can't see much better than that so I'm happy with the sight picture. Muzzleloading season here in Ohio is in January so I hope to put some meat in the freezer.

Attachments

• rear sight.JPG
    rear sight.JPG
    748.6 KB · Views: 0
  • shots.JPG
    shots.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 0
figured out what these are for,,than started on the double i just found barrels are rough,,found my box of parts for my waters that i took apart years ago,,put new parts in the lock and oiled up the lockes for the double,,,feelin good i taped the cam screw then went on to tap the cam witch cracked..that lead to the search for parts on the web and then the email ,,what you do today,,lol

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_213149.jpg
    IMG_20231116_213149.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231116_213051.jpg
    IMG_20231116_213051.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231116_213014.jpg
    IMG_20231116_213014.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231116_212859.jpg
    IMG_20231116_212859.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231116_212756.jpg
    IMG_20231116_212756.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 0
A few days ago, I decided to chop up the brass framed 1858 Remington New Army that's been sitting disassembled on my bench for over a year. This well-used 1973 special had a most likely replacement loading lever that fitted poorly and didn't operate smoothly (to put it mildly). It had shot well enough - I could still count to ten afterwards - so I had reason to believe it could be serviceable somehow... just didn't seem to be worth buying any new parts.

How 'bout a snubbie Bulldog .44?

Start:
FIE 1858 Start.jpg

End of first day's effort:
FIE 1858 New Config Parts.jpg

Today's work on the grip frame & panels, plus a temporary reassembly to check proportionality:
FIE Bulldog In Progress Mockup.jpg

Pulled the trigger on a Lee Lead pot. Bottom pour.

Before yall crucify me. Know I make bass fishing jigs and this will help speed the process up.
Good deal, I've been very happy with mine. Keep plenty of lead in it and still skim the top from time to time. Even with clean lead the pour spout can/will partially clog from time to time. I use a length of SS safety wire bent so that I can insert it in the spout opening while keeping my hand well clear. After a number of uses it will more than likely start to drip a little too. Just play with the adjustment screw to stop it. It's never been a big problem on mine.

Latest posts

Back