• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I‘ve been puttering around the house this long, holiday weekend and made some muzzleloading-type stuff... Looking back on it, I actually got more done than I expected to.

Built a couple more steel target frames. I’m up to three now…

IMG_4116.jpeg

71001519971__B5C2AE8F-4E8F-417F-9ABF-FE4671F1FB38.jpeg

And made a few new loading blocks…. After I made the first loading block for the SMR .40 a few weeks ago, I noticed that the spacing I used let the ramrod stick up thru an adjacent hole and the patched RB almost lined up with the barrel. If I pulled the block to the side a little it would line up. So I set to work yesterday making a couple more, but with the holes a little closer. When I cut the ramrod after the first one broke, I left it about an inch long so it would be easier to grab and pull out. That‘s worked out dandy for the loading block.
(I wasn’t planning on shooting a lot today, thus the sparse population of round balls.)

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4171.jpeg

I also got a really good start on an antler priming horn. Cut and hollowed out the antler and roughed out the end caps and got them glued in. I’ll finish it up later this week or next weekend.

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

A good weekend! Hope y’all had one, too. Happy Independence Day!

I cycled through my woodswalk trail three times with my freshly restificated .32 flinter and some Lee RBs I cast a couple of days ago. I gotta find some AR-500 bunny and squirrel targets somewhere. I can't believe how well that little rifle hangs, holds and shoots, it's a real joy. Got her all cleaned up and put away, time to scorch some pig and enjoy the holiday festivities. If my neighbors get too rowdy after bedtime with the fireworks, I might break out the half-pounder salute cannon and burn up some old, crusty Pyrodex.....I want to try the bread wadding anyway.

Getting ready to watch my Mike Miller Relief Carving DVD that finally arrived yesterday, took 3 weeks! Also have a couple of photo collection thumb drives from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation. They were slow getting here too. Guess they were all at Friendship for a while.
Let us know what you think about these - I would like to learn more about wood carving too!

I recently antiqued an Altoids tin to hold wool blanket shooting patches for my trade gun. I used a blowtorch to burn off the paint, a ball-peen hammer to tap out the “Altoids” lettering and dome the lid, and japanned the tin with the blowtorch and a rub down with oil:

7630B028-17D3-4A73-B279-6B32A119BAED.jpeg

Works great and holds about 20 greased blanket patches.

Let us know what you think about these - I would like to learn more about wood carving too!
The DVD is good, haven't looked at all the photos yet. I'm beginning to realize there's no magic bullet to learn this stuff. The video that Jim Kibler put out on utube yesterday is very good and helps too. About the only progress I've made is that I recognize most all my mistakes now, but haven't learned how to correct them yet!

I am cleaning up my friends FIE .45 cap popper. So i went out n popped 2 caps no grass movement. So in i came got out my patch worm n run it down. Twisted out a cleaning patch that had been left inside. So i cleaned the bore n found it had a crud ring. I got that cleaned with Dawn & water. Now back to pop caps & sight this thing on in today.

Been working on my PA Fowler butt plate for what seems like hours! Really doesn’t feel like I’m getting anywhere!Gurrrr

I am cleaning up my friends FIE .45 cap popper. So i went out n popped 2 caps no grass movement. So in i came got out my patch worm n run it down. Twisted out a cleaning patch that had been left inside. So i cleaned the bore n found it had a crud ring. I got that cleaned with Dawn & water. Now back to pop caps & sight this thing on in today.
My first ML was an FIE .45.

Actually, this was yesterday, but I haven't had time to be on the computer until now. My grandson and I shot my TC Hawken .50 cal. until the heat got to us. Then I taught him how to properly clean and store it. So we loaded 50 grains of Schuetzen and a .50 caliber round ball into a .50 caliber rifle, and shot our homemade metallic silhouette targets at 50 yards, lol! Okay, the ball was actually .454, but .50 sounds better. The 50 grain load is pretty mild, but it sure smacks down the targets at 50 yards. Fun time with the grandson. I love getting young folks involved in traditional muzzle loading.

I have one of those that the the wife gave me long ago. It's marked 45 but it takes a thin patch and 433 ball to get it loaded. 🤣

I haven't shot it in years. You have me thinking about it. Maybe take it along on the next range run.

Smokepolehall, people wander why we pop a cap in ml before we shoot. Job well done. Laney

Back