• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tagged out on turkeys with my flintlock!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Due to the monsoon rains, I had to change my hunting plans to go to the farm several times over the past couple weeks. Dad's warning phone calls elevated from "Bring your high boots" to "Bring your waders" to "Bring your ark". When I finally arrived at Chateau Haverstick this past Monday morning, I could hear the roar of the creek from where I parked. As kids, my brother and I would spend hours trying to figure out ways to cross the high water for no other reason that to just say we did it. More often than not, we got as wet shimmying across overhanging tree limbs or walking on half-submerged water gates as we would have if we had just swam across. Staying dry wasn't the point; it was the challenge.

"Turn around, don't drown"
ClZ7EFR.jpeg

Unfortunately, I did not own one of those Hollywood flintlocks that would fire even after being dunked underwater several times, so the water barrier that is Barren Fork Creek would effectively whittle down my hunting area to a fraction of what it normally is. My best chance for success would be to basically hunt in Dad's front yard. He had called me twice over the past week to say that there was a tom strutting next to the house. Since Dad doesn't mess with them much, I figured I might be able to lure that bird to his death. My only concern was hunting either before or after the mail carrier made her daily delivery so she didn't mess up a hunt.

I didn't want to get too far from home
0KuPF31.jpeg

With that in mind, I spent the rest of Monday morning on a ridge above the house, calling every so often but mainly wasting time until the mail arrived. After lunch, and mail delivery, I grabbed my flintlock SxS, Little Debbie, put on my Mobile Turkey Command Center (aka turkey vest), and walked about 150 yards from the house to set up shop. I climbed under an old walnut tree on the south side of the road, put some dekes out about 20 yards from my position, laid out all my calls, and got to work. I had my Kindle to keep me company so I'd call every little bit in between chapters.

I'm under the tree in the center of the photo behind my Ghostblind
wfegPNP.jpeg

For contrast, my dad's setup in his woodshed about 30 yards from the house. Why walk if you don't have to?
7X3Qulh.jpeg

The gun I was using I had bought specifically to hunt turkeys with but, so far, it has been a large disappointment. Besides having some serious design flaws, it didn't reliably go off when I pulled the trigger and its pattern was not great. That all being said, I was determined to kill a spring bird with it so I took all that into account when I set up. All I needed to do was get a bird to within 20 yards and then have the gun fire. Other than that, it should be a piece of cake.

All afternoon, I heard birds putting on the ridges in front of me and behind me, but nothing stepped out in the field I was in, or even answered my calls. Finally, around 5:30, I heard a turkey putt at the bottom of the ridge right in front of me about 100 yards away. I then heard it walking through the leaves. It was quickly joined by two others and three jakes materialized from the forest.

As I watched them feed across the road, I was initially torn as whether or not to shoot one if the opportunity arose. It sure would be nice to take a big tom with the gun I was using so I could show myself that it could be done. But, with the way things were currently stacked against me, the old adage "bird in the hand" came to mind. I have killed jakes before and am not embarrassed by it. I just prefer the amount of meat I get off a mature bird better. Deciding that beggars can't be choosers, I waiting for the curious youngsters to come visit me.

Well, as you might have seen in the video, things went as planned. The Three Stooges came right up to my Funky Chicken but only two of them walked away. My SxS worked flawlessly and there wasn't a single pellet anywhere except the neck and head. The bird weighed almost 13 pounds and had a 3 3/4" beard. I had hunted a total of two days at my farm over the past three weeks and had killed two birds. I'd say that is a pretty good season!

zlcBaS3.jpeg

vLne4YQ.jpeg

Darren

Last edited:
Congrats on another fine hunt. Great pictures and story as well.

Be glad you’re getting rain there. We have been in basically a drought for two or three years here in KY. It rains but not enough to help much.

Last edited:
Great hunting story! I was out on my sister's farm in Missouri for 10 days hunting, only saw one gobbler but he wouldn't come in. So, back home this year without a bird in hand.. Still, great to be out in the woods.

Great story!! Really appreciate you sharing it with us. I took a hen a few years ago in our fall season (rifles legal). Several birds were in a dry(?) streambed and I had stalked them with road-fill and culvert between us intending to raise up over the fill and shoot if I got close enough...I spotted a turkey ...through the culvert, trying to peek over the fill. At about 15yds, I managed to break its neck with a .45 cal. ball shooting through the culvert!

Awesome Darren and congrats!!! Pa opens today and since the woods are quite i’m glad i checked out the thread. Got me excited…no just need turkeys!

Back