• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot my Pedersoli Frontier percussion .50. Started out windy then went still for about 45 minutes and I took full advantage! This is about 75 yds off hand, amazing what my little rifle can do when there's no 50mph wind wreaking havoc. :)....still pulling to the right, that's mee and I need to fix that. It's an ongoing habit that keeps rearing its' ugly head.
50 grains Triple 7
.010 patch
.490 ball
View attachment 120315 View attachment 120316

I cannot wait to shoot my flintlock version of this rifle when it arrives in the spring!
That’s great shooting!!

Went to the Nampa gun show today. I was able to score 1 tin (100) of #11 CCI percussion caps and I found this. I've read how people really like this so I paid an arm and a leg for it but I wanted to try it out.

220206-001  2 x 1_1.jpg

They had one pound of Schutzen(sp?) and wanted $80.00 for it. I was able to get this for $50.00. Waaaaaay overpriced but real black powder is incredibly difficult to find in this area.

They had some really interesting knives and a few throwing axes but they were way above my paygrade. Unfortunately, I didn't see many black powder items for sale although there was a presentation cased colt "cap and ball" with all sorts of stuff in the case. They had a $1000.00 price tag on it. Never fired and really, really pretty.

I frustrated myself by getting my new (Traditions) bore light stuck at the end of my .54 jbmr! I tried to shock it out by pounding the bbl on the carpeted floor that is but to no effect. Then I put a cap on and forgetting where i was touched her off...well you should have heard the commotion upstairs...not repeatable in polite company. Which then sent me out into -37c to try again! Well it worked, and not really learning from this I turned around and did it again. I left the critter lit in the barrel overnight and blew it out in the morning when it was milder. I found I had a wad of grease in the breech plug area that became like glue. Not doing this again. Now I have to find these damn little watch batteries somewhere UGHHH.

stood over a stock and made little tiny wood out of a big piece of wood. don't know who got rasped more, me or the stock!
made an entry pipe out of a coffee can. to thin. going to have to order some stock. this rifle has all iron fittings . entry pipe is the last fitting to make.
started a 5/16th ram rod for this 32. just about had it tapered right and broke it in half. down to one blank.
totw will hear from me in a little bit. hope they are sending their kid to college on the money i been spending.

I I finished my precarve from hell Haines rifle and the dang thing won't shoot worth a hoot. I found that the barrel settled in after about 50 shots and the front lug pin was really pinched and hard to get out, when I pulled the barrel I found I had forgotten to slot the lug hole which I drilled a little close to the barrel but still in the lug. I used my Dremel and a diamond bit to relieve the hole, sloppy but the pin goes in and out with finger pressure now. The first hole was barely on the lug so I did a do-over a little higher. I will replace the underlug at a later date but it works for now.
lug slotting.JPG

When I installed the trigger guard I thought I had it perfectly inletted, no so after the wood dried out more in my gun safe. After I drilled and installed the pins I noticed that my trigger guard had a gap about 1/8" above the trigger plate, no one would notice but me but this really bugged me.

I drilled the pin hole larger for an 8-32 tap, threaded a brass wood screw shaft to 8-32, filled the threads of the screw and the hole with solder paste, screwed the screw in and heated it with my torch to solder it in place.

lug plugging.JPG

Cleaned up and marked to re-drill the pin hole.

lug patch marked.JPG

Trigger guard installed, new pin hole drilled to allow the guard to lay almost flat against the trigger plate. I don't do any project without bleeding a little.

trigger guard in right.JPG

Maybe if I get a chance between chores I will get out some of my prized NIB goodies and oogle over em.😍 I really should thin the herd but with all of the scams reported on here I doubt I would ever advertise.

Today i learned there in no end to the things I can do to get my ass chewed by the war dept.
cleaning my Mortimer. in the garage. swabbed the barrel with a paste hand cleaner. fired up my little steam cleaner.
came into the house to get warm while it came up to steam. had the tube in a garbage can.
next thing i know the bride of 56 years is yelling at me the garage is on fire!
i mosey out and explain its just steam. lost a chunk of posterior for scaring her!
oh well, did shoot before . a good day!
as a "i'm sorry", she made me chicken and dumplings! life is good

Back