• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pistol "Speed" shooting this afternoon at that "Redcoat" behind me.........

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.28.40 PM.png

My financial downfall has always been,,, Want & Need means the same when it comes to buying guns.
Fortunately at 80 I physically can only pack a maximum of two pistols to a gun show & must take my 'old fart cart' if packing
one of my rifles to a show to sell as I can no longer shoot them.
Old age ain't fer sissies :ghostly:
You are not kidding young fellow
Old age is not for the faint of heart and now at 92 that is a fact.
Took it easy this morning just did a little work but no shooting.
Straightened up the cleaning bench in my shop.
Took the `'51 apart checked tightness on all the frame screws and gave the barrel 100 laps with JB compound. It looked like there was a little lead removed. I have been shooting the Colt Cartridge Works (Eras Gone mould) bullet and it has an almost nonexistent grease grove. It is long enough that even only 15 grains does not leave room for a 1/8" lube wad.
Tried lube over the bullet ad found it did a great job of lubing the frame, loading plunger, and arbor, but not much otherwise.
Still holding center
Bunk

took 4 shots today. hit 3. the one miss was a 55yrd 6" plate but i hit it twice after the miss and then called it good. because i moved in this place after xmass I don't have enough firewood so been logging every other week. got a small load today cutting standing dead spruce which is nice and dry but I have pretty much picked this spot clean so did not get a full load. another snow storm coming Monday night and it's already pretty deep out here. plow frame is dragging in the snow so figured I better git er done before the new snow.
IMG_5842.jpg

Did some more load development today, shot 55, 60, 65 and 70 grain loads. All shot well except the 70 grains. Mostly 3 inch three shot groups at 50 yards, the 70 grain load shot 6 inch group, but it was the end of the day and the temp was 38 degrees so it could have been me.
Finished up with a four shot offhand group at 25 yards. Six o’clock hold and I still haven’t adjusted the sights any, waiting until I settle on a load

Attachments

• 44ED3C20-CC5A-4487-9CFC-748AABC1A631.jpeg
    44ED3C20-CC5A-4487-9CFC-748AABC1A631.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Just got done spending the afternoon in the yard with my An IX. This time I used my tripod as a rest to remove some of the human error. First group was 70gr of Fg and second was 65gr of Fg, both at 10 yards. The extra-large hole at the 8/9 line, I'm pretty sure is two hits. 65gr is the lowest I would ever consider going since I've had a serious problem with ricochets when the velocity gets too low with this gun.

70gr Fg.JPG

65gr Fg.JPG

You are not kidding young fellow
Old age is not for the faint of heart and now at 92 that is a fact.
Took it easy this morning just did a little work but no shooting.
Straightened up the cleaning bench in my shop.
Took the `'51 apart checked tightness on all the frame screws and gave the barrel 100 laps with JB compound. It looked like there was a little lead removed. I have been shooting the Colt Cartridge Works (Eras Gone mould) bullet and it has an almost nonexistent grease grove. It is long enough that even only 15 grains does not leave room for a 1/8" lube wad.
Tried lube over the bullet ad found it did a great job of lubing the frame, loading plunger, and arbor, but not much otherwise.
Still holding center
Bunk
92! Wow, I thought I was the 'old man' here. Congratulations 'old timer' I will be 91 in April. Dale

Agree, I have one, but it’s a super el cheapo from HF, I can’t focus with the lenses. Time to get a better one.
Wait until you find your wearing your Reading Glasses UNDER your bench Magnifiers!! I miss being 30!!

Just got done spending the afternoon in the yard with my An IX. This time I used my tripod as a rest to remove some of the human error. First group was 70gr of Fg and second was 65gr of Fg, both at 10 yards. The extra-large hole at the 8/9 line, I'm pretty sure is two hits. 65gr is the lowest I would ever consider going since I've had a serious problem with ricochets when the velocity gets too low with this gun.

View attachment 205188
View attachment 205189
Good shooting for such a hot load. What caliber? My 54 came out of my hands at 60grs ffg. My Queen Anne 50 is light as can be, and I like 40grs fffg.

Ricochet? Don't use scrap cars for a back stop! Ask me how i know!😁

Back