• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm heading out this afternoon to play with my .50 and that new Williams tang sight, I'll take pics of my results and post them. I'm thinking is there anyone getting better accuracy with less powder? I'm wondering if a 60 gn starting load for a .50 has given better accuracy at 50 meters.

I decided that after all the work I put into my brand new fireplace wall hanger gun I'd turn it into a shooter. I shoot lefty and a week after I bought that right hand Hawken, Muzzle Loaders got in a left hand gun so I bought that one also with the idea of possibly selling the RH model as a new unfired rifle. But I've come to like it, decided to keep and shoot it. It did very well and now I'm looking forward to having a competition between the two Hawkens and one unmentionable.

I'm heading out this afternoon to play with my .50 and that new Williams tang sight, I'll take pics of my results and post them. I'm thinking is there anyone getting better accuracy with less powder? I'm wondering if a 60 gn starting load for a .50 has given better accuracy at 50 meters.
I'm still playing with loads but I know that 53 grains of FFFg shoots better than 60 g. in my Hawken at 50 yards.

Found my shooting box I bought when I was stationed on Oahu in 1982. Washed it up & got it drying on the patio. The Ballard Rifle of Cody, WY sticker came off & really wanted to keep that. Got some cleaning stuff to go in it to get it set up as my N-SSA match range box.

Was upset with my Mom since she had rearranged some things in the closet I use when I’m there at the farm. Didn’t say anything for she’s 86 & has some memory issues at times. OK, it was just a 1K box of musket caps for this upcoming season. Ordered another 500 to have until I find where they went off to. Unlocked the closet to get to the safe to get out the new CCW to degrease. Just so happened to look up and, LO & Behold! There was that box of 1K looking down at me here in DFW.
:doh:

Got 2 more 1842 Springfield musket parts ordered from Lodgewood. Only metal parts left are mid & front bands, ramrod, and a stock from Dunlap Wood.

ETA: got in the lower band for the other project, a 1835/40 US H&P Conversion Musket.

Last edited:
Finished up the exterior polishing on the SMR lock.

Attachments

• 02227355-0E93-4E2C-A479-FAD82DFF2D84.jpeg
    02227355-0E93-4E2C-A479-FAD82DFF2D84.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My first three shots landed high and to the right of my poa. I adjusted the Williams sight 5 clicks to the left which should bring my MPI to the left and for some reason that didn’t change. I fired six shots at the second target giving me a 5” group at 60 meters. On reflection I might have been canting the rifle to the right.
A total of 9 shots fired today
I used 10 grains of home grown BP followed by 60 gns of triple 7 ffg my round ball was .490 with a .020 spit patch. Barrel is a stock TC 1-48 twist with the Williams tang FP sight installed.

Attachments

• 0E6BF152-59C4-45C1-A022-9130B296EE28.jpeg
    0E6BF152-59C4-45C1-A022-9130B296EE28.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3C9F423E-948F-4A19-AB97-7A617001C701.jpeg
    3C9F423E-948F-4A19-AB97-7A617001C701.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Up till now, I've been concentrating on my stepson's .54 cal renegade who will take possession as soon as he gets his possession and acquisition license. I have his PRB dialed in for 60 meters with 80 gns of triple 7. Now I'm going to work on Alice's rifle and mine. I can understand the confusion.
Possession and acquisition LICENSE?! Reading about all the hoops one must jump through just to get a muzzleloader in some jurisdictions makes me even more glad that I live where I do!

Possession and acquisition LICENSE?! Reading about all the hoops one must jump through just to get a muzzleloader in some jurisdictions makes me even more glad that I live where I do!
Yes, up here in canukastan, you need to go through a day of training in order to qualify to own a long arm and another whole day to get your restricted license. but now thats gone as you cant own a pistol or revolver anymore. the federal communist party is thinking about a buy back program where they will give you a paltry sum for your legally purchased firearm. Now there are a number of hunting rifles on that banned list like any Mauser actions and all variants, Ruger number 1 and any variants and the list goes on. I wish we had a second amendment like you good folks do.

Last edited:
Yes, up here in canukastan, you need to go through a day of training in order to qualify to own a long arm and another whole day to get your restricted license. but now thats gone as you cant own a pistol or revolver anymore. the federal communist party is thinking about a buy back program where they will give you a paltry sum for your legally purchased firearm. Now there are a number of hunting rifles on that banned list like any Mauser actions and all variants, Ruger number 1 and any variants and the list goes on. I wish we has a second amendment like you good folks do.
A single-shot rifle is on the banned list?! I find that simply mind-boggling! Makes me glad I will be dead (hopefully) before this happens in my country....

Yes, up here in canukastan, you need to go through a day of training in order to qualify to own a long arm and another whole day to get your restricted license. but now thats gone as you cant own a pistol or revolver anymore. the federal communist party is thinking about a buy back program where they will give you a paltry sum for your legally purchased firearm. Now there are a number of hunting rifles on that banned list like any Mauser actions and all variants, Ruger number 1 and any variants and the list goes on. I wish we had a second amendment like you good folks do.
Trooper,

It sounds like your tree needs watering. Unbelievable stupidity going on.

Latest posts

Back