• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the name of this thing??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is on the CVA Hawken that belongs to my wife. Its kind of a good idea in one sense, but not so good in others. It works just fine with 209's but they are difficult to obtain. Its also good for subs, but I use BP. Good for hunting in the rain, but bad if the cap is dropped, especially from a tree stand. And definitely not good for cold, old, bumbling fingers and/or for a quick follow up shot.

Haven't tried to remove it yet, but I am considering it due to availability of 209's. Can this be easily switched out for percussion caps?

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    971.3 KB · Views: 3
It looks like a Mag Spark. I still have one but I only tried it a couple times at the range. It became obvious after replacing a primer a couple times it is much easier to use a cap. I suppose if you were using those pellets it might be an advantage because they are supposed to be hard to ignite. If you need more spark use a musket nipple.

The assembly simply screws into the hole for the nipple. Remove it and put a nipple in its place.
That's what I needed to know. It came on the ML when she got it. I don't like it and would like to replace it with a regular nipple but I haven't one on hand.

@ETipp track has them and lists the correct ones for the various rifles. Pretty sure it's metric unless the drum is replaced and tapped otherwise.

I don't recall the metrc sizes. Have metric mental block. Never saw the reason for adopting it. I blame Snap On Tools 🔧 😒.

Looks a lot like these. I think they use small rifle primers.
View attachment 242997
Here it is on a CVA Timber Wolf. Please excuse the sympathetic stock.
View attachment 242998
Sure does look like it. I'll pull the one on the CVA and see what it looks like down in there. As of now, just by looking at it, the base of the threads appear to larger diameter than standard nipples, but I will check and see.

@ETipp track has them and lists the correct ones for the various rifles. Pretty sure it's metric unless the drum is replaced and tapped otherwise.

I don't recall the metrc sizes. Have metric mental block. Never saw the reason for adopting it. I blame Snap On Tools 🔧 😒.
No doubt. Getting ready to make an order from Track anyway.

The device looks like a Mag-Spark. The cap should come off by rotating it with your fingers. The base should have an Allen socket deep down inside, and will come out with a small hex wrench, although I have forgotten the exact size. Once you get it out, you can verify the thread size and pitch with a Screw Checker plate if you have one, or carry it down to the specialty fasteners section of the local hardware store. The should have the equipment for determining the screw size.

If the rifle is a CVA, it probably uses either a 6/1.0mm or a 6/.75mm nipple.

Notchy Bob

The device looks like a Mag-Spark. The cap should come off by rotating it with your fingers. The base should have an Allen socket deep down inside, and will come out with a small hex wrench, although I have forgotten the exact size. Once you get it out, you can verify the thread size and pitch with a Screw Checker plate if you have one, or carry it down to the specialty fasteners section of the local hardware store. The should have the equipment for determining the screw size.

If the rifle is a CVA, it probably uses either a 6/1.0mm or a 6/.75mm nipple.

Notchy Bob
Thanks, Bob. That's what I'll most likely do before ordering. There's a somewhat nearby supply store that has a thread size checker.

Back