• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What does the brain trust say?…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousegunguy

40 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy,
I’m hoping for some info on this old English shotgun.
The barres are 30 inches to the cones, 46 inches total.
Has ‘Clarke’ on both lock plates. ‘London’ on the rib.
The proof marks on the bottom of the barrel lead me to believe the barrel was proofed 1813-1855 at Birmingham proof house.
It looks to be about a 12-10 gauge
Any info you may have would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
46D55389-6CFA-49DC-AC3E-B104070190E9.jpeg
32C74983-5145-41EA-948E-5E7C47F28D5E.jpeg
2FDF85DB-7FE5-4D84-A764-BB332DF02DAD.jpeg
017DBC96-CA01-4B21-8ACC-D2E590A97FE3.jpeg
33589AE3-2FB6-4CA4-ACE6-3BF8896B47D2.jpeg
AEC1B22D-FCB9-46A8-AAC1-9B6503A1A0FD.jpeg

The back action lock and percussion action says 1840 onwards to me. Full-length photos would be good, too. It's a bit like looking at photos of a vintage car that just show a steering wheel. Also, I accept that as a furriner my take on things might differ from yours, but I like to see guns the right way up, it's easier on my poor old neck, and stops me turning my monitor upside down to examine the images. It's a very nice piece, BTW. Well, what we can see of it, that is. :)

1702336073686.png

1702336099395.png

Last edited:
I agree with TFoley on the age - 1840 and up. I also didn't like standing on my head to read Clark on the lock plate. Don't know Clark.
As for the brazing on the hammer - my dad was a plumber. I have his old shotgun and he repaired both hammers with brazing just like that.

Apologies for the pictures being upside down. I’d fix it if I knew how.
The hammers definitely been brazed but they also don’t match as a pair maybe a repaired replacement?
the name on the lock plates is ‘Clarke’… with an ‘E’ if that make a difference
image.jpg
It’s even right side up!

Last edited:
The back action lock and percussion action says 1840 onwards to me. Full-length photos would be good, too. It's a bit like looking at photos of a vintage car that just show a steering wheel. Also, I accept that as a furriner my take on things might differ from yours, but I like to see guns the right way up, it's easier on my poor old neck, and stops me turning my monitor upside down to examine the images. It's a very nice piece, BTW. Well, what we can see of it, that is. :)

View attachment 275866
View attachment 275867
Thanks for fixing’ the pictures!
Here’s you full picture..
image.jpg

The hammers get brittle with age. Mine has one hammer spur broken off that needs welded back on. It shows a lot of grain in the fracture.

Latest posts

Back