• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rich Hollis & Sons Shotgun, English Made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on this photo you provided, a #11 cap is what you want to use.
The nose of the hammer isn't large enough to work well with a musket size cap.

img_6916-jpg.11657
Thank you Zonie. I think that is a fair assessment. #11 seems right since the existing nipple top stack OD is about 0.165" (but having too much taper downward). One of the fellows suggested the hammer may not be an original and appears offset to the nipple. So, if this is the case I hope the hammer won't give me any grieve once I install
Glad you got the nipple size sorted . All English sporting shotguns and rifle used 1/4 and 9/32 BSF thread I would say that the BSF thread for nipples first became used after the patch lock period of 1810-30.
Feltwad
A Early Patch Lock to Percussion Conversion fitted with a 1/4 BSF thread
Hmmm. I learn something more every time I log onto this website. Thank you
Glad you got the nipple size sorted . All English sporting shotguns and rifle used 1/4 and 9/32 BSF thread I would say that the BSF thread for nipples first became used after the patch lock period of 1810-30.
Feltwad
A Early Patch Lock to Percussion Conversion fitted with a 1/4 BSF thread

Based on this photo you provided, a #11 cap is what you want to use.
The nose of the hammer isn't large enough to work well with a musket size cap.

img_6916-jpg.11657
Thank you Zonie. I think that is a fair assessment. #11 seems right since the existing nipple top stack OD is about 0.165" (but having too much taper downward). One of the fellows suggested the hammer may not be an original and appears offset to the nipple. So, if this is the case I hope the hammer won't give me any grieve once I install the new #11 nipple.

Rowntree ' Invented the copper cap ' along with a number of other claimants,But Rowntree clearly did have a flair for inventiveness as this gun boldly suggests . The side plug 'drum & nipple' being uncommon on a new percussion gun in England seemingly he used a older flint barrel restocking it with this unusual lock perhaps the ' patent' he in this case is claiming . Very interesting gun and in good hands Regards Rudyard

Back