• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgswaim

Pilgrim
Reaction score
A few years ago I obtained a flintlock rifle in a trade. Having never shot BP I don't know anything about t. It is a 50 caliber, flintlock and has the name J Garner engraved on the barrel. It is a long rifle and appears to be high quality. Tell be something about my rifle. What would be a good starting load and a maximum load?

GlenS said:
It is a 50 caliber, flintlock and has the name J Garner engraved on the barrel. Tell be something about my rifle.
I have a car that says Ford on it. It has four doors. Can you tell me what it is? :wink: :v

tumblr_m99hb5ApIy1qc7mh1.jpg

Gee, it’s hard to add to all the helpful information you have received so far, but let me try.

The rifle was probably made by Jack Garner, an early Dixie Gun Works employee who has been out on his own for maybe twenty-five or thirty years and, as far as I know, is still around.
The general rule of thumb for a starting load is one grain (weight) of powder for each caliber. In the case of a .50 caliber that would be fifty grains. Personally, I see no reason to go higher than eighty grains tops in a fifty but I know other do go a lot higher. Ball size will probably be .490 or .495 depending on patch thickness.
A few regulars here will probably be making disparaging remarks about your rifle because, while it make look nice to the 98% of us who are ignorant and unschooled, it is not a museum quality reproduction of a documented original.
Don’t let it bother you. Just learn to shoot it, shoot it well, and clean a few expert’s clocks when you shoot against them.

Jack Garner is the founder of the Corinth School of contemporary "modern made longrifles and guns".

He founded Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading now run by Matt Advance in Natchez, until a couple of years ago they were located in Corinth; he also founded Tennessee Valley Manufacturing still located in Corinth Miss.. Builders like Avance and Jackie Brown are past employees and use his style and technique in their gun building.

He has many styles but they are similar to Avance's TVM.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Don't let a few of our members rile you.

Most of our members are very helpful with questions.

J. Garner, as was mentioned by a few others has been building muzzleloaders for a number of years.

Although some of his guns are not super high grade he used some of the best parts available and your gun is undoubtedly a quality item.

These guns are made to shoot patched roundballs and the balls used are slightly undersize to make room for the patch.

Use a .490 diameter ball with a .015-.018 thick cotton patch. Lube the patch with either a commercial patch lube or with a vegetable oil.

You will need to use something to start the patched ball into the muzzle because it will be too large to just push into place.
Many use a "short starter" which is nothing more than a round wooden ball with a very short (1/8 inch) dowel projecting from it.

Because your gun is a flintlock it cannot shoot the modern synthetic "black powders" with any good consistency. You will have to find some real black powder to have good success.

Read thru the posts here and use our search engine to find posts that address specific questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here. :)

Jack Garner made several rifle styles that your rifle could be. From your brief description, I'd lean toward the "Lancaster" or "Early Virginia" styles, though which would be determined by pictures or more in depth description. In either case, an early loading data sheet from him indicated charges of 50 grains of FFFg & a .490" diameter ball for 1510fps velocity and 80 grains of FFFg, with the same ball, for 1855fps velocity. Don't know if they're actual recorded velocities or estimates...in either case, they're standard charges for the bore size. If you can post some photos of your rifle, perhaps more detailed info can be gathered. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of Jacks rifles in a souther style 36 cal and have had it many years. I really like mine and it has proven to be a fine rifle. The name looks like this on mine and I'm betting yours is similar also.
8F90C8C8-10C9-49FE-B6F7-F7C23D23289B-1008-000003D822384B4E_zps7410a316.jpg

I have a J. Garner that is in .54 cal. It is a very nice piece with top shelf parts and wood. Mine is in steel, no patch box, and no carvings--just a simple and beautiful rifle.

I am sure you will find that your rifle has a sweet load--part of the fun is the journey to get that load!

Latest posts

Back