• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jack Garner Signed Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, I am 76, I use a Past recoil pad when I am sighting in my bigger bore guns, My .72 smoothbore really rocks me with a 100 gr of 1F and a .700 ball. With the pad (the thickest they sell) I don't feel the recoil at all.

View attachment 271504

Sometimes percussion guns that don't go off need a new nipple or the nipple fit is too tight. If the fit is too tight, chuck the nipple up in a drill and sand the diameter down to where the cap slides on easily but won't fall off if you turn your rifle upside down. If the nipple is mushroomed you can take that off with a small file while your nipple is chucked up in the drill as well. I think GPRs takes a metric nipple. TOW would have them.

Lastly, I don't know if you take the barrel off and dunk it in a bucket of water to clean it using the cleaning jag and a patch to pump water out the flash chamber. If you don't, perhaps the chamber is cruded up making ignition so-so.
Thank you for the feedback. I am only 63 years young but I have changed my lifestyle and have lost 115lbs since April. Have lost weight everywhere and feel better than I have in 40 years. I have lost most of my insulation and padding if you know what I mean. We do change as we age, I have several African rifles that thump on both ends as well as a 50 BMG that burns 230gts o powder behind a 750gr bullet. I don't like them anymore! I am getting softer!

I have 3 days to hunt for whitetail doe with the GPR and do not have a spare nipple for aback up so I may wait to mess with it. Depending on my hunt in the morning I may chuck it up in a lathe and take a couple thousandths off and see if that works.

My dad has shot a lot of Kentucky whitetails with a .40. He says it’s the .270 of the blackpowder world and has been really effective.
Shot placement is paramount but that’s the case with every caliber. I believe he shoots 70 grains so you’ll need to pay attention to your patches and make sure they aren’t blowing. If they are use a felt wad or some hornet nest between powder and ball.

Latest posts

Back