• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What distance should I zero a 32 cal squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no reason to ever cover the target with the front sight to get hits at longer ranges. Even at several hundred yards with a 50 to 100 yard zero, using the proper technique, if the gun and bullet type will group well at that distance.

I wouldn't shoot at a squirrel's head past about 25 yards either because of diminished vision without the use of a rifle with a scope, small bore of course. Wouldn't be fair to either of us. Well, maybe a shotgun of sorts.

How far can you see to shoot, I assume squirrel? I'd go with what DD said. If it's a little high you can adjust Kentucky windage by dropping your aim a little but if you have to raise you aim, you cover your target and can't see it. 1" at 25 would probably get you right on at 50 or close. Practice at varying distances so you know where it hits.

Done properly, there is no reason to ever cover your target with the front sight to get hits at longer ranges with non-adjustable sights.
Hold the top of the front sight directly on the target, and merely raise the entire front sight/target picture up higher in the rear sight notch.
Works every time once you work out how high to raise the front sight picture for different ranges.
With modern guns, works well out to several hundred yards.
I have always been surprised how few people know about this.

What type of sights are yall using on your 32. I have a pedersoli frontier. It has buckhorn rear sight. I cant seem to keep a consistent sight picture. I was shooting yesterday from a kneeling position at 25 yards about the best i could do was 3inches. Keeping the front sight centered wasnt a problem do to the notch at the bottom but elevation had to hold just above center. But didnt have visual references to keep it consistent. Wondering if i should change out to a flat leaf on the rear?

I have a muzzle velocity chart from about 35 years ago and it states that a .375 cal., 37” barrelled rifle with 3f BP has a muzzle velocity of 2,000 FPS. I’m guessing that more modern MV charted are more accurate and specific. Before my rifle was shortened by two inches, rebored and rifling properly done sighting was perfect for a .319 ball at 80 feet. I don’t remember the charge but firing a .357 with 30 grains of the aforementioned 3f powder gives the same accuracy.

To be a squirrel hunter, you must keep all shots within the size of a quarter- a head shot, the only quick humane shot. Your maximum range is just that. Don’t worry about energy. A four pounds of energy is an instant kill on any of the rodents.

As for sight picture, you would be surprised at the variation. Everything from the top of the front sight pulled down to the bottom of the “V” centered on the middle of the quarter, which is the hardest to see in any light, to having the flat of the barrel even with the top of the rear sight with the quarter resting on top of the front sight, the easiest to see-in all light conditions. Pick what works for you and be consistent.

Jmlabrum

Years ago I had a Dixie Tennessee Mt .32 flint, my first flintlock, and I had it zeroed at 25 yards. It was on again at about 65 yards.

For the 33% or less of the time it went off it did OK. I even killed squirrel and woodchucks. Occasionally. That was LONG before the Internet and this forum and, had they been available, I might still have it. MAN that was frustrating rifle and I had nowhere to turn.

And I wish I had it back.

I sight the .32 in at 25 to 30 yards. I want to see at least the major portion of the squirrels head on top of the front sight. I sight the .36 in the same way.

To me, I think it goes with out saying, particularly for us "older guys and eyes", that a 6 o'clock hold, where you can see the target point, is the best hold. I have always sighted iron sight rifles and my pistols in for
6 o'clock hold even back when my eyes were good. I like to see the center of my target point.

I have a .32 Rice 43" tapered octagon barrel SMR build in the mix and am looking forward to getting it done. Got one gun in front of it to work on first. .32's are a blast (no pun intended, or maybe yes) to shoot.

My 32 shoots beautifully with 20 to 30 grs of 777, Pyrodex P or GO fff. BUT that is too much snap for eaters you might not be able to make a head shot on.. A 1:48 twist just won't let me load down to 22 lr velocities and keep the accuracy needed. I need a faster twist barrel to do that. A Redman liner for 32/20 (1:20) might do. Too many projects, so little time and egg money....

Back