• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally warmed up enough for me to get back in the shop today. Worked on more of the Kibler kit. Elongated holes in the barrel lugs, fitted and installed the trigger guard, worked on butt plate fit.

I worked up my nerve today and filed the front sight on my Pedersoli Frontier .50 cal rifle. Windy but had to try it out after that.

First of all, this is the first time I ever shot from a bench rest. Yup, true story.
I bought some birdseed sacks today coincidently, and they were still in the truck box. So took one of them, set it up on the bench and took all shots from it. I wanted to remove as many variables as possible to see what was really going on.
At home I took 1/8" off with a file. Then off to the range.

25 yards.

Shooting 55 grains of Triple 7, .490 patched lead ball, the first 3 shots are the lower 3 below the target. Better than before I took the 1/8 off, they would have been a couple inches lower. Then took a little more off with the file. Moved up to the next lowest group. A little more at a time. Better and better. Finished with a full 1/4" filed off, and the elevation is near perfect, just the wind I had to contend with which is the near level horizontal ones with the center shots. Those are now with the top of the blade in the buckhorn notch. The one at 12 o'clock is me using a different sight picture, B on the chart below. Thinking that may be my 50 yd sight pic. Anyhow, pretty happy I took the time to actually assess the sights properly, most of the time I can't be bothered and just shoot. I took 2 quick passes over it with the file when I got home just to give me incrementally more height on the target, dressed it with a very fine file and emery paper, and it's slick as can be now.
No excuses now, it's all on me.

Using-the-Peephorn.jpg
25 yds Bench Rest Sight In Feb 20 2021.jpeg

I can shoot a sling shot that well at 25yards, now get her out on the 100 yard line. just pullin yer leg good start.

Made a tumbler. Started with deconstructing a defunct 12" Delta planer . Powered by a 10 rpm paint color stirrer.
A real hack job. Dollar cost $000. Satisfaction 100%.
View attachment 65214
love your home made ingenuity, i have a garage full of that stuff and if anything ever happed to me, nobody would know what it was for except for the modified garage door opener i made an overhead hoist out of.

I dug my way out with my favorite toy, this is unusual weather for N Alabama, this stuff only happens once every 30 or 40 years. Even after I got my driveway clear I could 't get safely out on the road in my truck, too icy. I rode my 4 wheeler to the store about 2 miles away in a driving snow storm to get a few things and to see how bad the roads were. Turns out the store closed early and they were locking the door when I got there. The roads were a sheet of ice.

The first picture is a before picture.

2021 feb snow.JPG

snow plow 4.JPG
snow plow 3.JPG

Never underestimate the abilities of a rag and bowl man. nice job.
Rag and bowl man, interesting,we call them rag and bone men here in the Eastern side of the pond. Man with horse and cart used to collect old clothes for re-selling or making into paper and bones to sell on for making glue. Kids used to take stuff out to him and get a baloon.

A few years back, I knew a lady from wales (she was married to my best friend for a few years) he is the type of fellow if you need something he has it, We were all out for a meal one evening and I ask him about something if he might know where to get it, she said no problem my rag and bowl man has it, after her explaining what she meant I about fell out of the chair laughing.

Spent more time on the Kibler kit today. Fitted and pinned the nose cap, fitted the front and rear sights, fitted and pinned the ram rod cap, and finally fitted the ram rod. Fitting the ram rod seemed to take a really long time but I finally got it working smoothly after a couple of hours...just kept sneaking up on the finished diameter with sand paper.

Emptying the inside shop (reloading, gunsmithing, ammo storage, etc) in prep for interior demolition and remodel.
Gawd, I hate this **** but the end result will be pretty awesome!

wm

Reactions: smo
Spent more time on the Kibler kit today. Fitted and pinned the nose cap, fitted the front and rear sights, fitted and pinned the ram rod cap, and finally fitted the ram rod. Fitting the ram rod seemed to take a really long time but I finally got it working smoothly after a couple of hours...just kept sneaking up on the finished diameter with sand paper.

The ram rod took awhile to fit on mine too. Had to inlet the thimbles a little lower to meet the holes.
The kit is outstanding, very good inletting, easy to assemble.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back