• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What did you do today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That weather happens in Canada frequently enough that people don their skates and skate on the roads.
i don`t skate.
finished this today.
D88767A0-CFBA-4241-A65B-DA2AC627CDA5.jpeg
ZCVXZ

Yesterday I broke down all the emergency stuff, cleaned where necessary, re-boxed and put it all away. Our local water system was cleared yesterday for human consumption again so I will finish draining and then refill our storage tank.
It looks like it will be a few weeks before propane supplies are once again available so I can replenish what was used by portable heaters.

Reactions: smo
For a second I thought you misspelled battalion, but I see it's in Latin.

Do you use magnification?

Absolutely gorgeous workmanship.
Thank you for the compliment.
I don`t use magnification, but do need it. The carving is about 8 x 11, so not too tiny.

It`s done on maple, acme super extra hard brand. Fire hardened, i found out yesterday that this wood used to sit over a wood stove to keep weight on it for whatever reason.
French around the moose, Latin on the banner
it s my first commission.

Thank you , Rock Home and 1950dave.
I can skate, and golf but don`t care to do either

Exercised the snow blower for couple hours and got myself dug out of small 5" snow . Did the neighbor's too. Sometimes , ya gotta take care of folks. After a mug of coffee , have to help wife patch hole in her bedspread my pup ate. Dog is on probation just now. Was able to get between pup and wife before pup got in deep trouble. Wife is cooled off now. Whew!

Wondering what the “wear plate” should look like to cover the ram rod hole that came out the bottom! Barrel inlet & ram rod groove good but a slight error in layout and a bent 48” drill did the deed. Bit was 8” inside lower fore stock so how bit bent is a mystery to me. Made and used that bit 20 years ago but maybe the 01 drill rod shank annealed when I hard silver soldered the bit to it, bend was just past the solder joint. Only the 2nd time I’ve had one come out. I’m lucky enough to have an original Schreyer (1790ish) stock and his hole came up into the barrel channel to the extent that the ram rod must have been tapered to a relatively (very ?) sharp point. All
Metal except nose cap and a few pins have been stripped. Consider myself very lucky to have it.

I played put-put golf one time when I was about 12 yrs old, I understand that the owner changed the name of the place to goofy golf the next day. A kid can stand only so much humiliation.
Dave

Reactions: smo
Spent an hour after work on the Kibler kit. Removed ramrod pipes and cut a slight lead in either end and removed parting lines, funchtions much better now. Fitted patch box cover and installed spring. Flushed end cap to stock and cleaned up the lines. Brass parts got brass pins.

Here are some pics of some of the work leading up to this point.

IMG_0416.jpegIMG_0415.jpegIMG_0414.jpegIMG_0413.jpeg

Any advice on getting the wiggle out of the front sight would be welcome.

Spent an hour after work on the Kibler kit. Removed ramrod pipes and cut a slight lead in either end and removed parting lines, funchtions much better now. Fitted patch box cover and installed spring. Flushed end cap to stock and cleaned up the lines. Brass parts got brass pins.

Here are some pics of some of the work leading up to this point.

View attachment 65640View attachment 65641View attachment 65642View attachment 65643

Any advice on getting the wiggle out of the front sight would be welcome.

A single drop of epoxy under it will do the trick.

I have a new drop-in TC barrel that needed work because the crown was cutting patches, I tried the thumb and sand paper method but could tell I didn't have the crown cut perfectly on all sides.

Bill Raby used a similar tool in one of his videos to the one I made to crown a barrel so I thought I would expand on his idea and make one to use on my new barrel. I can chuck mine up in drill, his was strictly a hand tool.

I turned the tool on my hobby wood lathe, it has about a 60 degree cutting surface. I turned the small end to be slightly smaller than the bore and put a piece of tape around it to give it a snug but turnable fit to the bore to center the tool.

ObuvTao.jpg

I taped sandpaper on the cutting edge, starting with 220 and finishing with 400

lTnw722.jpg

I tried hand cutting the crown but it went slowly so I chucked the tool up in my drill. While running I shifted the handle of the drill every few seconds to another position to keep the pressure constant. I would go from 12 to 3 to 6 to 9 and back to 12. This tool cut an amazingly even crown.

K6DusQN.jpg

I got a couple of canvas gun socks in the mail to hopefully keep car transport rash to a minimum.
they looked very plain, so I decided to dress up the flap on the end a little. Got out my trusty pencil, sepia ink, and my whittled twig drawing pen and set to work.
perhaps it will make it harder to lose. Doing the second one tomorrow. May add more to the body of the case as I get ideas.

Attachments

• 1D014255-2D8C-4EB4-9DF7-B739A40090DD.jpeg
    1D014255-2D8C-4EB4-9DF7-B739A40090DD.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back