• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What am I doing wrong? Confused

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusnapperhead

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So; I’m shooting my flintlock for first time. Shot great first 3 time then wouldn’t fire.
after each shot I swabbed with dry patch; using wonder lube with patch before ball. Shooting 3f Goetz powder started with 50 grains. Successfully pulled ball with range rod. Didn’t have a pick liner.

returned home; cleaned well with hot water and dawn soap. Oiled with crc 3-36 and left upside down in house for the night.

today; took back out shot 5 times then wouldn’t fire again. This time found a piece of copper wire and ran it through vent line after each shot along with dry patch swabbed barrel. Again was able to pull ball with range rod😃

just finished cleaning again; what am I doing wrong? Suggestions? Before next shooting?

For help it would be best to explain in great detail exactly what your load process is when you shoot. Just a guess but from what you say it sounds like you are pushing fouling down into the breech area.

Most likely running the dry patch after firing is pushing crud down into the firing chamber clogging it up. Try it without doing that, or use a damp patch.

I would stop using a dry patch and use cleaning patches coated with the wonder lube at least every 3rd round. When on the range I run a cleaning patch for every shot, when in competition or hunting every 3rd shot works fine.
P.S. Give the cleaning patch a twist when you're at the bottom of the breach
to pull any fouling away from the vent hole.

I believe Trot has identified your problem. Once you have discovered the ideal patch, ball, lube combination for your rifle you don't need to wipe the bore after every shot. If you still feel it is necessary, dampen the patch slightly so you pull out the fowling instead of pushing it down to the breach face where it collects and blocks the vent. I have dampened patches by placing them on my tongue briefly or I've used a a few drops of 50/50 alcohol and Murphy's Oil soap. Unless it's a hot, humid day, you should be able to fire at least 15 to 20 shots before you need to wipe out the bore with a dampened patch.

I was getting the same thing after about 30 shots and dry brushing instead of damp patch cleaning. What I was doing is pushing the fouling down against the breech plug face and it built up until it plugged the flash hole. I thought I had cleaned it thoroughly from the last time out but when I finally got wise and put my brass breech plug scraper down bore and gave it a few turns I got all sorts of crud out of the corner of the plug and barrel that had been baked on from the last outing that did not come completely out even with a warm water and soap cleaning and clear water rinse. The scraper did the trick for me and will now be used in all my non-patent breech guns.
A damp patch wipe between shots eliminates most of these problems as well.

I’ll try the wonder lube on cleaning patch before each shot. I’m still learning and experimenting. Thanks for suggestions. Sounds like crud plugged up vent hole. I’d did get moist black crud in dry patch every time. I also did the twist at bottom. Thanks; will shoot again tomorrow. Cheers!

No matter what gun, I spit patch between every shot. Don't have a reason to load quickly, no battle or hunt fast reload, so the time it takes is irrevalent. Trying to load to quickly got me in trouble way back when.

Wonder lube is a lube. Not the best but it does work and it is not for swabbing the bore. Whenever I use wonder lube, for a patch lube, I need to swab every three shots or my accuracy goes south quick and I use Wonderlube sparingly. A little on the patch and rake off the excess. Lots of things you can use to swab with. Some people use auto windshield cleaner or windex or even plain water to name a few.

And why prey tell?, Please enlighten me.
Moonman answered it,

Wonder lube is a lube. Not the best but it does work and it is not for swabbing the bore. Whenever I use wonder lube, for a patch lube, I need to swab every three shots or my accuracy goes south quick and I use Wonderlube sparingly. A little on the patch and rake off the excess. Lots of things you can use to swab with. Some people use auto windshield cleaner or windex or even plain water to name a few.

You need a solvent to remove fouling, not a waxy lube. Google Friendship speed juice.

My boy's CVA with a jukar barrel will foul up if you push the ramrod all of the way down when swabing. Leaving the ramrod about an inch from the bottom No problem.As stated you want a jag that goes down easily and pulls out with more resistance.You want to pull the fouling out, not push it in. It may take a little playing around to find the right diameter jag and size patch to get things working.

Next time this happens put on a scraper on your ramrod and turn it back and forth. If it has crud on it you are just pushing the crud down the barrel.

I used to wet swab every 3 shots. I was then having similar problems as you after 15 - 18 shots. The amount of crud on my scraper was eye opening.

Correct Patch, Lube, ball size and charge- you should not have to swab at all until you are done for the day.

@hanshi has the best of the descriptions of why one should avoid using Wonderlube as a bore wipe. That waxy lube will make a thick moist layer of fouling at the breech. The tight dry patch will push that thick fouling into the flash channel. You need the correct sized jag so the jag and damp patch slide over the fouling and the the patch bunches up to pull the moist fouling out of the barrel sand away from the breech. Dry patches, if they don't get stuck in the barrel, push fouling toward the breech. Use a damp patch.

That moist fouling is left in the flash channel even after picking the touch hole. You would need a pipe cleaner or a dental flossing brush to open and dry the flash channel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back