• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little Help Needed Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot my new Kibler Woodswalker in .50 for first time today.
Used Hornady .490 balls, Ox-Yoke .015 patches lubed w/Mr. Flintlock.
Tried 3 shot groups of 50, 60, and 70gr. of 1.5 Swiss, all primed w/4F. I swabbed after each 3 shot group.
Ignition was not instant, had a slight delay, was picking vent after each shot.
Groups were all shot at 50 yards. Smallest group I had was 3", others were 4-5".
Pic of some of the fired patches I found.
Looking for some help reading patches and suggestions for better ignition and accuracey.
Thanks in advance!
Jay
work powder charge up 80 90 100 110 (swiss 1.5) before doing anything else (powder size), 5 shot groups.
for better ignition: (in pan) more powder less powder right bank left bank keep shooting her and you'll find her sweet spot. you need to shoot her 200 x's

I agree with the others that said to go with 3f powder and .018 patches, and even possibly going to a .495 round ball with the .018 patch. In my .54 cal. Woodsrunner I had to go to a .535 round ball and a .018 patch because I was getting patch results like yours with a .530 round ball and .015 patching. That fixed the patch problem and tightened the groups.

At 40 grains the ball would bounce off an animal and hit the OP.

Safety First.

Grab some 3F and work up from 50 to 70 grains.

Go with 5 grain jumps until you find the sweet spot in that barrel. 5 to 7 shots per jump. 25 to 35 balls. 3 shots does not a group make.

Keep a log book and document everything.
40 grs FFFg is great for paper targets. Easy to shoot for beginners. Recoil is minimal.

Ditch that 1.5F Swiss. I had some of that
Amen, Bro. I had some once and it almost needed a hot railroad flare stuck in it to get ignition. I posted a thread on it sometime back in ancient times. You might be able to find with a search. Try 3Fg, there is a reason why it is the most used granulation.

Many great pieces of advice above... I would add 1 thing. after you shoulder it and before you cock the hammer, give the lock side of the stock a light thump with the heel of your hand. levels the powder in the pan and tilts it slightly away from the touchhole causing the flash to flare towards th touchhole while driving a grain or two into the backside of the vent.. works for me, might help with that delay.
just an opinion Legion

Latest posts

Back