• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Westley Richards- Rare 8-Bore Big Game Double Rifle, ca. 1850

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Westley Richards, extremely rare 8-bore percussion, muzzle loading, big game double rifle, ca.1850. Weight 14 lbs. Stock: 14 3/8" LOP. Superb 27" replacement steel barrels by the incomparable Mike Ehinger of Stedman, NC. Brilliant bores and 100% faux Damascus finish. Single fixed rear sight set to 100 yards. The entire gun has been completely refurbished by Mr. Ehinger. Regulated for a 1390 grain conical bullet and 10 drams Fg black powder, this rifle will shoot consistent 3 groups at 100 yards with a very flat trajectory (2 1/3 high at 50 yards). Muzzle velocity is approximately 1550 ft/sec yielding a muzzle energy about half way between a modern .577 and .600 Nitro Express. This combination of extreme accuracy and stopping power is made possible by a special conical lead bullet formed by swaging the cast bullet through a special die which pre-cuts grooves in the bullet to exactly fit the lands of the rifling yielding a perfect, gas tight, mechanical fit. This concept of mechanically fitting bullets is certainly not new, in fact, the idea and design for the swaging tool was borrowed from the case of an extremely accurate Purdey 16-bore double rifle set made in 1838. At any rate, the result is the ideal muzzle loading rifle for dangerous game and I know of no other muzzle loading rifle extant capable of this level of performance. In addition, it is extremely easy to load quickly in the bush requiring only the dumping of powder in the barrels, thumb starting the bare bullets, and ramming them home. There is no need for wads and patches which add precious time to the loading process as well as worrisome paraphernalia that has to be carried around and fussed with. The rifle comes complete with bullet mould and sizing dies. Absolutely the finest muzzle loading big game rifle you will ever see offered for sale. Take this to Africa and add a whole new dimension to your next safar.
main-1.jpg

main1.jpg

main3.jpg

main2.jpg

main4.jpg

:hatsoff:

an amazing rifle and fine fotos, thanks again for a good post. will the seller take cash money? I just bought a fresh color cartridge for my printer!

Tain't much ifin you just say it real fast! :rotf: :rotf:
:surrender: Like those bullets in comparison the Quarter. Lordy Lordy make a hole a feelar could walk through!
Reallly great pics :thumbsup:

wow....a range day with that has got to hurt... :shocked2:....and more than just in the pocketbook, the gun powder, the lead for start.

:shocked2:

Neat rifle...ridiculous price. I love my front stuffers but anyone can buy a British nitro double from "between the wars" and in a popular calibre for substantially less money. IMO, $25K for a "non-original" gun of this sort nearly constitutes thievery on the part of Drake. Of course, looking at his other prices for everything from rifles to ink-wells, I'm not terribly surprised. :rotf: Get a load of his "campaign furniture" pricing!

If one really wants an 8-bore front stuffer, and given that the above rifle is entirely composed of either replaced or reconditioned parts, why not call Steve Zihn or Jim Gefroh and have one of them build something similar. One would save a bunch of money and have an equally neat rifle in the process, no?

:confused:

JMHO,

Buffler Runner

I sure could use that one in my safe. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Truly beautiful!!!

Undertaker, this gun is absolutely awesome. I continuously find myself back here drooling over it. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Buffler Runner said:

Neat rifle...ridiculous price. I love my front stuffers but anyone can buy a British nitro double from "between the wars" and in a popular calibre for substantially less money. IMO, $25K for a "non-original" gun of this sort nearly constitutes thievery on the part of Drake. Of course, looking at his other prices for everything from rifles to ink-wells, I'm not terribly surprised. :rotf: Get a load of his "campaign furniture" pricing!

If one really wants an 8-bore front stuffer, and given that the above rifle is entirely composed of either replaced or reconditioned parts, why not call Steve Zihn or Jim Gefroh and have one of them build something similar. One would save a bunch of money and have an equally neat rifle in the process, no?

:confused:

JMHO,

Buffler Runner
ithink that is not that bad a price when you can pay $35000 US for a single shot 4 bore.
as per this gun.
bernie :thumbsup: [url] http://www.centuryarms.com[/url].au/docs/4bore.html

Last edited by a moderator:
windwalker_au said:
ithink that is not that bad a price when you can pay $35000 US for a single shot 4 bore.
as per this gun.
bernie :thumbsup: [url] http://www.centuryarms.com[/url].au/docs/4bore.html
There was another one,from Thomas Bland, London- 8-Bore Double Rifle, ca. 1900. The price was $45,000.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be argumentative in the least but
conversely, I have seen some nice "named" double 8 breech loaders in the last year go in the high teens to low 20s. Two were very nifty (and rare) H&H paradox guns. Arguing against my own point, there is also a sidelock toplever hammerless H&H 8 bore double (can you say hen's teeth?) for sale right now for $50K so I guess sometimes guys just think they are selling Selous' personal weapon when they price these things.

Anyway, for a rifle with major "replacement" hardware, I think $25K for this piece is a lot. Not that it ain't pretty mind you, and it probably shoots like a dream, but I just get sick when I see what Drake lists these things for. If most of an "old" gun is "new", why pay the premium for antique collectors value? Might as well build one just like it for half the price. How much to reproduce this gun, Steve Zihn ????? :D

We'll probably never know, but I'd bet this piece sold for a good bit less than the list price.

JMHO,

Buffler Runner

Buffler Runner, H&H is that Holland&Holland.
Just saw an Holland&Holland 'Doppelbüchse Royal Dangerous Game' in cal.500/465N.E. for unbelievable €312,000.00,$427,440.00 :shocked2:

Wonder what made it so special? A new "Royal" in that calibre runs around $160K USD as per H&H's web site. Of course, H&H scope mounts are a $7600 option on that rifle so you never know what kind of stuff the original client ordered to pump up the price. The real scary thing is that, when you go to Asprey or Purdey's site, they don't list prices. I imagine they just look at your shoes when you walk in and quote a price on the basis of them..."Hmmm....John Lobb shoes, $200,000 rifle. Converse Chuck Taylor high tops....$100,000 rifle". :rotf:

The "dangerous game" rifle is engraved by Alan&Paul Brown.Saw this gun in the 'Frankonia Catalog06/07' on side 5.And that is without a scope!

Buffler Runner said:

Neat rifle...ridiculous price. ..... $25K for a "non-original" gun of this sort nearly constitutes thievery on the part of Drake. Of course, looking at his other prices for everything from rifles to ink-wells, I'm not terribly surprised. :rotf: Get a load of his "campaign furniture" pricing! /quote]

Agree with Buffalo Runner. I have been collecting in this area for quite a few years and Drake has never been known for his bargains. Everything he has is " ... as good an example of ##### as you will ever see" etc etc etc. I think he turns over his business partners quicker than he turns over his stock.

So far as the 8 bore goes - very very pretty but NOT a $25000 gun.

Robbo

idont know anything of this drake so i trust your word about the way he is,i still would not mind owning the 8 bore though lol.did you look at the 4 bore single shot made here in oz.
bernie :thumbsup:

windwalker_au said:
idont know anything of this drake so i trust your word about the way he is,i still would not mind owning the 8 bore though lol.did you look at the 4 bore single shot made here in oz.
bernie :thumbsup:

Yeah - checked it out online. I wonder how many they sell??? Looks like a dinosaur killer to me. Equally lethal either end. I will look them up when next in Melbourne.

Robbo

Back