• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Westley Richards double barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trading mainly as Cooper & Goodman also as Cooper and Banks this one is an oddy (and could have been one of a batch which slipped out of the side door ?? Bates is also a famous
name in English gun making and are still in business.)
It would have been good to see the 'Cooper & Bates' gun in a new thread under its own name, rather than buried under one on a Westley Richards gun. The value of this forum is diminished as a reference when we start mixing subjects / makers, and browsing would fail to identify anything on this maker.

David

It would have been good to see the 'Cooper & Bates' gun in a new thread under its own name, rather than buried under one on a Westley Richards gun. The value of this forum is diminished as a reference when we start mixing subjects / makers, and browsing would fail to identify anything on this maker.

David
I will put up what I know of J.R.Cooper & Cooper & Goodman. It appears that Goodman may have been a B'Ham Patent agent.

Because I can't afford a good bore gauge I'll turn a 2" long piece of brass taped for a ramrod the size of the muzzle. Put it down the barrel and see if it gets sloppy as I go down the bore to see if it indeed is tapered. When it comes time to fire it I'll use my natural sheep's wool as wadding and wadded paper over the shot. Wouldn't make any difference what the bore is with that type of loading.
I would like to see a thread showing all our different English makers guns, especially SxS. I have one other percussion SxS and I would post that one for conversation as I would like to know what is known about it.

Last edited:
Because I can't afford a good bore gauge I'll turn a 2" long piece of brass taped for a ramrod the size of the muzzle. Put it down the barrel and see if it gets sloppy as I go down the bore to see if it indeed is tapered. When it comes time to fire it I'll use my natural sheep's wool as wadding and wadded paper over the shot. Wouldn't make any difference what the bore is with that type of loading.
Yesterday I took a dowel rod and put tape on the end so it was snug in the muzzles. It was tight all the way down the bores. Measuring the diameter of the tape, the gun is 16 gauge bordering closer to 17 gauge actually which is what I figured from the start and what I told Westley Richards when I sent for info in the records. It is nowhere near the larger 14 gauge that their ledger indicates.

Back