• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

water soluable RIG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Perusing some ml supplier sites and spotted 'water soluable RIG'. I have long used RIG as a rust protectant. But it is expensive and messy to clean up. Anyone here with experience using this new product?

Seems that you want grease to repel moisture. With that in mind, the term 'water soluble grease' would be an oxymoron.

I did a quick search on-line for water soluble RIG grease & came up with squat, so apparently there's no great following yet for the stuff, or it's some other kind of rigging lube.

If you want a good water soluble lubricant, try Frog Lube. When applied to a surface & heated, it forms a tough lubricating film. I use it primarily for cap & ball revolvers that I clean up in soapy water. It resists fingerprints while handling & cleans out that little bit of residual stuff that patches & other cleaners seem to leave behind.

As for a rust preventative, RIG has been the standard for decades. It cleans up easily simply by wiping off the excess with Taco Bell or fast food joint paper towels, or even toiletpaper, if you're that frugal. After the excess is removed, any bore cleaner or CLP will remove the rest, so it isn't greasy to handle.

Barricade is another rust preventative highly regarded for muzzleloader use. Spray or wipe it on & it leaves a protective film that isn't as messy as grease.

Frank, where did you see the water soluble RIG grease? I have looked for it at several gun suppliers and can not find it.

Actually, I would question whether a water soluble grease would protect metal from rust. It would seem that if it was soluble in water, that water in the atmosphere could mix with it and get to the metal to cause rust to form. That's why I want to read more about it so I can understand how it works.

Billnpatti said:
Frank, where did you see the water soluble RIG grease? I have looked for it at several gun suppliers and can not find it.

Actually, I would question whether a water soluble grease would protect metal from rust. It would seem that if it was soluble in water, that water in the atmosphere could mix with it and get to the metal to cause rust to form. That's why I want to read more about it so I can understand how it works.

Wish I could remember. I was searching a number of venor sites for something else and it sorta flashed by during my clicks. It was in a large white tube. I'm curious about it.

Rifleman1776 said:
Billnpatti said:

Wish I could remember. I was searching a number of venor sites for something else and it sorta flashed by during my clicks. It was in a large white tube. I'm curious about it.

Rig grease

Stone Knife said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Billnpatti said:

Rig grease

Ta-Da! :applause:
My senile old brain wasn't imagining. :wink:
Thanks.
I couldn't even find it on the RIG website. :confused:
So now, begs the question. Wat is it good for? :idunno:

Back