• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a way to postpone cleaning a ml?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the early 80's my brother in-law purchased a brand new TC Renegade .50 for muzzleloader season in Mi. He was told all he needed was WD-40 for cleaning. We didn't hunt together that yr. so I didn't know. The next summer a conversation popped up about muzzleloading and I asked to see his new Renegade. When he handed it to me I could see it was a sewer pipe, no rescue possible except for a new barrel from Green Mountain Barrel (no longer available) $200 additional dollars he didn't have at the time. Moral of the story, don't clean BP without water and then after drying you may use WD-40. I use Ballistol and water after shooting and when I get home hot soapy water, dry and then straight Ballistol or any oil with rust inhibitors for storage. And for God's sake don't store your guns in the bsmt. unless it's heated and you run a de-humidifier, at least in Michigan!

CRC power lube, a good squirt and a few patches in and out will buy you a day or two.
Yep, anything to do a quick field cleaning will buy a person time. In this humid state, no way am I leaving my ML over night as is after shooting them. Heck, I wouldn't even do that when all the years I lived out west in a dry climate.

Why are so many today concerned with changing what always have been?
Why would would someone buy a muzzleloader then complain that it has to be cared for the way it always has...why did they spend their money on it in the first place?

Myself; I don't even postpone cleaning my unmentionables.

I have even read once where someone wanted to know if it's possible to modify their long rifle to shoot "unmentionable" ammo!??!

Things that make me go; "Hu?"

Why are so many today concerned with changing what always have been?
Why would would someone buy a muzzleloader then complain that it has to be cared for the way it always has...why did they spend their money on it in the first place?

Myself; I don't even postpone cleaning my unmentionables.

I have even read once where someone wanted to know if it's possible to modify their long rifle to shoot "unmentionable" ammo!??!

Things that make me go; "Hu?"
Your questions have been answered in this thread.

Your questions have been answered in this thread.
Mad L, it seems to me that you might be getting a little concerned over nothing. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you begin with post #1 and then follow the whole thread and read all the exchanges. I was neither trying to ignite a firestorm nor dump on anyone else's cleaning regimen. I just asked if there might be a way to postpone cleaning overnight. To any and all who find this to be blasphemy, I'll end with a quote from Sgt. Hulka: "lighten up, Francis!"

I'm not concerned with anything other folks do with their muzzleloaders; I do what I do and all mine look the as they did 10 and 15 years ago.
But I no longer accept offer to clean other folk's firearms....Oh The Horror!! (Not to mention stuck nipples, screws, vent liners, pitting barrels, rotting leather, etc)

One would think that a country that put man on the moon would be able to formulate some product that would allow a ml shooter to postpone cleaning his gun until the next day. Perhaps you fired once, or a couple of times, and want to shoot again tomorrow. Surely there should be a way to swab the barrel once, give the lock and hammer a quick wipe, and then the next day either shoot some more or do a normal cleaning. Any thoughts? Anyone ever try this w/o harming the gun? If so, how did you do it? Please don't reply with "it only takes 15 min to clean", "never use petroleum products", "great grandpa used water and that's good enough for me", etc. I'm seriously trying to see if there could be a way to use something to achieve this. I'm thinking a vapor impregnated reusable bag, a magic corrosion nullifying powder or liquid, etc. Surely some smart chemist out there has experimented and has found a way. Come on you scientist/shooters, sound off.

It only takes one beer to clear a ML. , just like grandpa wipe down with a little soap and water, dry - oil done.

One would think that a country that put man on the moon would be able to formulate some product that would allow a ml shooter to postpone cleaning his gun until the next day. Perhaps you fired once, or a couple of times, and want to shoot again tomorrow. Surely there should be a way to swab the barrel once, give the lock and hammer a quick wipe, and then the next day either shoot some more or do a normal cleaning. Any thoughts? Anyone ever try this w/o harming the gun? If so, how did you do it? Please don't reply with "it only takes 15 min to clean", "never use petroleum products", "great grandpa used water and that's good enough for me", etc. I'm seriously trying to see if there could be a way to use something to achieve this. I'm thinking a vapor impregnated reusable bag, a magic corrosion nullifying powder or liquid, etc. Surely some smart chemist out there has experimented and has found a way. Come on you scientist/shooters, sound off.
yup, shoot it until it’s good and fouled the leave it, preferably in a damp place. Next time you want to shoot, buy a new one…
No easy way out, you shoot, you clean. Immediately. bp is hygroscopic ( it draws moisture ) and, since the residue is corrosive to begin with, accelerates rusting. Hell, I clean every gun immediately after firing .22, shotguns, centerfire, everything.

I'll be blunt. If you can't clean your smoke pole right away, don't bother shooting it. I have seen many ruined muzzleloaders because, "well, I don't ever clean my Glock" Black powder is extremely corrosive. Clean it by the end of the day. You'd be surprised on how quickly Windex cleans the bore. Follow it up with a lube.

I'm not concerned with anything other folks do with their muzzleloaders; I do what I do and all mine look the as they did 10 and 15 years ago.
But I no longer accept offer to clean other folk's firearms....Oh The Horror!! (Not to mention stuck nipples, screws, vent liners, pitting barrels, rotting leather, etc)
I 125% agree with this!

If you are using real black powder, indeed there is. Did it many times after a match so i could make the 2 or 3 hour drive home Sunday evening and clean the guns the next evening. WW2 US Army bore cleaner. Not the later stuff from Nam era. The earlier stuff had benzene and other obnoxious chemicals in it to neutralize corrosive primers and other nasty stuff. Stank to high heaven and put off fumes, that probably kill brain cells, but a couple of really wet soggy patches of that stuff to soak the bore and breech, and wipe the breech area and lock, no rust for at least several days. That stuff was great for BPCR guns too, Warning though, the stuff doesn't work very well on Pyrodex. I still have a couple dozen or so 4 oz cans of the stuff down in the barn (don't want the stink in the shop or house.) I read somewhere that the WW2 stuff is now considered a hazardous material in many places.. Cleaning the guns at the match or after hunting presents many challenges, for instance do you carry a bucket and hot soapy water? Do you have a place to plug in a hair dryer to make sure all the moisture to evaporated out of the barrel? I use a hair dryer and metal funnel to blow hot air through the barrel.)

if you cant clean it , dont shoot it till you can. or take one less shot and use that time to clean it.
Maybe in YOUR world with the type of shooting you do. Where are you going to get a bucket of hot soapy water at a rifle range? I often had 3 or 4 hour drives home after a match. Not like I shot it out the back door and had the kitchen stove and sink 4 feet away.

Back