• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mag318

32 Cal
Reaction score
I picked this PH Enfield up this afternoon and the previous owner preserved it with a cosmoline type grease my guess is RIG. Just took it apart to clean everything and have been patching out this preservative in the bore. What is the best way to get this stuff out? Also all brass fitting are heavily tarnished so I'm polishing same to bring back some luster. Here are some before photos.
DSC01265.jpeg
DSC01262.jpeg
DSC01258.jpeg
DSC01266.jpeg

Easy method- remove the barrel from the rifle. Pack it in a black trash bag and leave in the hot sun for a few hours. Take out and patch the bore. Repeat a couple times. When patches are coming out sorta clean, start using wet patches with kerosene.

If it's a first gen Parker Hale, it's going to be a great shooter if you get your load right. There is a technique to shooting minies and we've been over it many times before.

Here's a 100yd group from mine. Aiming point was left hand point of the diamond-
musketoongroup1.jpg

Dave thanks for the reply, and very nice shooting with yours. After a few hours I removed 99% of the preservative revealing what looks like an unfired at least since proofing, Musketoon. The bore is pristine and the nipple looks like it never had a cap on it. When I reassemble it today I'll take some after photos. The brass fitting were heavily tarnished and discolored from years of sitting but they too cleaned up nicely.

Easy method- remove the barrel from the rifle. Pack it in a black trash bag and leave in the hot sun for a few hours. Take out and patch the bore. Repeat a couple times. When patches are coming out sorta clean, start using wet patches with kerosene.

If it's a first gen Parker Hale, it's going to be a great shooter if you get your load right. There is a technique to shooting minies and we've been over it many times before.

Here's a 100yd group from mine. Aiming point was left hand point of the diamond-
View attachment 236564
“first gen P-H”.
How do you distinguish 1st gen?
What makes it shoot better?

I had one back in the 70s. I have missed it for years. Just acquired a P-H 1861 Art. Carbine.
British proofed w/ all appropriate markings. Serial # 5257

I’m second owner. Previous owner shot about 20 rounds and then it became a wall hanger.

Anywhere I can get serial # info? … Just got a P-H 58 too!

“first gen P-H”.

I had one back in the 70s. I have missed it for years. Just acquired a P-H 1861 Art. Carbine.

I’m second owner. Previous owner shot about 20 rounds and then it became a wall hanger.

Made in England instead of Italy. Lots of little details make the British better. Progressive depth rifling, genuine case hardening, much better fit and finish. Authentic markings.

“first gen P-H”.

Shamelessly copied from @Smokey Plainsman

Made in England instead of Italy. Lots of little details make the British better. Progressive depth rifling, genuine case hardening, much better fit and finish. Authentic markings.

Latest posts

Back