• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wasp nest material.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runner

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I collected some hornets nest material. Someone wanted some to run experiments with? If so, I have some they can use.

Paper wasp nest, besides being pretty good tinder to carry, has been used to improve accuracy in some guns; typically over strong loads. It seems to keep patches from being blown and tightens groups. Not all guns benefit from it, hence the experimenting. The same thing can be accomplished with felt wads, but obviously the cost of wasp nests is less. Unless of course you try to collect it the summer, fall off the ladder when they sting you, go to the hospital, etc. :grin:
Moose

Fadala and Fears reported years ago on the problem of patches causing fires. The Hornet's nest material was supposed to be slightly fire resistant. It was used to prevent fires by protecting the patch with something a little harder to catch on fire. The accuracy effects were the same as any wad between the powder and the patch I guess, but that was not why it was recommended at all. If you set the prairie on fire shooting at a rabbit on a fine autumn evening, it just might be you that got cooked for dinner!
I have started two smoldering fires this year shooting at small game on the ground at close range. Luckily, in both cases I saw the smoke rising from the spot before I was done reloading. That is using the 12 guage and nitro cards. I have been considering smearing a little lube on the bottom of the wads before I load them because of it. Shots in the air or trees are no problem. The ones where the game is on the ground and close seem to be the primary problem. The wad gets driven into the leaves, dry grasses, or whatever else is covering the ground.

I don't really know. I am far from an expert. I learned this stuff alone reading Fadala, J. Wayne Fears, and Muzzleblasts when I could find it. I tried it many moons ago, and I really don't remember why I did not like using it. That was before the crazy magnumitis disease took hold for a few years!
Actually, either Fadala or Fears told a story that got me started down the path I ended up using. One of them wrote about there not being one correct way to do this. They went on with a story about a friend that used soft brass roundball so tight that he had to use a brass ramrod and a mallet to load his gun. I went out and got some 495's and tried shooting very tight loads. I have never changed because I still have never had a gun that it did not work in. Well I should say until now. I have a 1-48 CVA barrel with deep rifling that will not shoot roundball at all so far. Square cut crown is the suspected reason. It is a tack driver with the Lee Target Minnie, so I haven't been motivated to experiment again!

Runner- I have a CVA .50 1-48 twist that does well with PRB and over-powder felt wad. Have you done any shooting with the REAL slug? If so what results? Thanks B-93

The REAL is ok, and for the price of the mould is maybe the best home brewed conical in 50 caliber. I use the Lee Target Wadcutter these days when I think I am going to have to shoot out to 125 or so. Most of my guns shoot it better than the REAL, but I wish I could get both of them just a little bigger for a better barrel fit.

The barrel I am trying to get to shoot roundball is an octagon to round Trapper barrel. The end is cut flush at the end and the so called crown is not good. It is a wonder it shoots anything well. It is a few thousanths tighter than any other CVA barrel I have also. I don't mess with it becuse at 125 with the target minnies it is more accurate than I will ever be able to use under field conditions. Kind of a why mess with a good thing position!

I found 5-6 good sized wasp nests in one of our loafing sheds today. I anyone is still looking to experiment, send me an email & I will collect & mail you the nests.

The threads refer to both wasp nest and hornet nest material. Both are hexagonal grey cellulose cells. The hornet nests are covered with a grey paper-like shell & the wasp nests are not. What I had available (mailing out to two takers on Mon/Tue) were wasp nests.

My bad, I thought the part of the nest you wanted to use was the paper outer covering not the honeycomb inside. I guess you could use both and then it would not matter wasp or hornet.

Jon

YOu were correct. Its the paper from the outer shell of the Hornet's nest that is most often used. However, I am going to try the cellular wasp nest materials, too, just to see if they also work. Wasps nests are found all over the country, and not just in the woods, where Hornets build their head shaped nests in trees. We had 4 wasps nests one fall just in the garage, and another up under the gutter on the second story roof of the house.

Sadly we seem to get Hornet nests in all the wrong places around the house. I always seem to find them at the wrong time too!

Jon

Runner said:
Fadala and Fears reported years ago on the problem of patches causing fires. The Hornet's nest material was supposed to be slightly fire resistant. It was used to prevent fires by protecting the patch with something a little harder to catch on fire. The accuracy effects were the same as any wad between the powder and the patch I guess, but that was not why it was recommended at all. If you set the prairie on fire shooting at a rabbit on a fine autumn evening, it just might be you that got cooked for dinner!
I have started two smoldering fires this year shooting at small game on the ground at close range. Luckily, in both cases I saw the smoke rising from the spot before I was done reloading. That is using the 12 guage and nitro cards. I have been considering smearing a little lube on the bottom of the wads before I load them because of it. Shots in the air or trees are no problem. The ones where the game is on the ground and close seem to be the primary problem. The wad gets driven into the leaves, dry grasses, or whatever else is covering the ground.

That could turn out bad if you don't notice it. Likely start a pretty bad fire. Never had anything like that happen to myself. Gotta be careful and PAY ATTENTION. :hatsoff:

For you smooth bore guys shooting shot, Hornets nest was the material of choice for wadding back in the day.

Juggernaut

Back