• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wasps Nest?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nice nest out back, I'll use a tactical tree trimming device to get it down and see how many come flying out.
20230904_171530.jpg

I've used quite a bit of hornet and wasp nest material and prefer the hornet paper. My supply got left behind on our last move, but now I either shoot without an op wad of any kind or use a felt wad which works fine.

This might be the closest here to what I'm working on...

How's your loads coming out?

How are you using it?

How's it pattern?

Like I think I have s good idea on what I'm building...

I just wondering how much stuffing can i put in there with this shot lol.

According to my calculations. I'd assume I can have a good 3 or 4 inches of junk... it's just going to blow smoke and confetti.. I just don't want to cheap out on stuffing in there

Last edited:
How's your pattern carry over distance? Is the shot stable and or driven strung like nascar like not all getting to the target at the same time but all headed that way

All I've found here is modern loading... probably more modern then the guys at the clays forum. They wish they had more room you would need it. Like everyone puts all the eggs in one basket loading. Why? Cheap out on buffer too

Last edited:
They told me... it's just a stable shot pattern. It has that spit that keeps going the 5 hits keeps showing up over distance you keep getting pepper.. it was driven.

Its not trying to blow the turkeys head off like modern day with everything at once. It's got accurate shot spit over distance. It just works 😕

Last edited:
A choke has no drivers that carry.. and it might stay closed longer that's not good either.. but it opens fast then gone. There no drivers nothing stable. That's loaded "regular".

I think the object is to get it more stable to go further... more stable equals more drivers...

Last edited:
It's a good material... only need that do it really... they would maybe be stingy with that "wasp nest" and cut it with ground leaf shaved wood shaving.

We use a better power in whatever granular size. it's better.

The bore is better. We have a better barrel.

There restriction is the cup and chamber. They can't use half the stuff we can... they need a 100 year shelf life. Would you buy it if it looks a squirrel made it..

Last edited:
Pardon me for throwing cold water on this, but I think this is a remembered bit of frontier mythology.

Wasps nests will work as wadding. But it’s not to say that it’s the best kind of wadding.

Old fabric, tow, wool- all that stuff would have been used to excellent effect. Of course a wasps nest stimulates the imagination much better than mundane materials.

No...

Like I said it's the closest thing, to what I'm doing. I just havnt seen it done the same

Is it cuz everyone thinks myth... like what myth they were not stupid back then or crazy. They would have used stupid crazy way to describe something though yea all of them

Buffers wadding... all your nuts are in one Pile.

bake a cake with layers of buffer and shot lots of buffer

Make a sandwich in there.

Nuts and mice poop... a small pile a shot with a good mix of stuff like a bunch of mice poop in the shavings

Last edited:
They didn't talk like us? They had there own slang?

Stupid no.. they weren't playing around.

Just stupid mice and squirrels thinking. Maybe 3 piles of nuts surround by stuffing

Three layer cake.. three short shot colums..

There's combos to try out. With it

Last edited:
Other than clay target loading techniques where an unstable pattern works closer range hey it open fast... good enough and everyone plays with chokes to work distance.

Just trying to see how much stuffing we can shoot at birds I guess 😆

Like how much buffer and stuffing mixed in talking 20× than what's in a cup? How's the pattern hold over distance

Last edited:
I'm starting with building it like

stuffing ...then lead ..then stuffing ..then lead... then stuffing etc if that helps.. make layers of shot in stuff like that nest. 3"collum full of stuff?

I have other combos but that's simple?

Last edited:
Back