• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My son and I went out this morning to shoot my pedersoli frontier that I had Bobby Hoyt bore to a 54 cal smooth bore. Best load was 60 grains graf 3f, 80 grains cornmeal and 80 grains 5 shot, and wad. For some reason wasp nest had a better pattern that paper hornet wadding, go figure. Definitely ready to hunt next week when I get some time. Thanks for the advice on loads.

My son and I went out this morning to shoot my pedersoli frontier that I had Bobby Hoyt bore to a 54 cal smooth bore. Best load was 60 grains graf 3f, 80 grains cornmeal and 80 grains 5 shot, and wad. For some reason wasp nest had a better pattern that paper hornet wadding, go figure. Definitely ready to hunt next week when I get some time. Thanks for the advice on loads.
My 28 gauge smooths likes 40 grins of 2 f and 60 grains of shot on top cornmeal.I had better luck with 2 f and lighter charges.

I have 80 grains of 3F and 1 OZ of #6 for the Brown Bess. I'm hoping to try it out on the tree rats this weekend. I'm using the SkyChief Method.

Same load I use for pheasant hunting, 70 grains 2fg, and 70 grains no. 6 lead shot. 70 grains by volume of lead weighs in at 1 1/8 ounce. Crumpled phone book paper for wadding. Supermarket bag paper shot cups.

Why the corn meal ?
I've used corn meal and cream of wheat as fillers when loading BP cartridges with reduced loads to fill the cartridge, I've been at this M/L game for 60 years, but I'm curious as to why one would use cornmeal or any filler in a smoothbore fowler, I usually load using over powder card, fiber cushion wad, and over shot card wad, I use the same loading procedure with patched round ball but omit the over shot wad.

My 58 caliber, 24 gauge, likes 50 grains of 3F, a 1/8" nitro wad, a lubed 1/2" cushion wad, 7/8 to an ounce and and eight of shot and a card wad. It patterns well at 25 to 30 yards. I'm new to smoothbores so I'm still figuring it all out. What I'm really trying to figure out is why I didn't build one years ago???

Back